Bad Move Page 5

They weren't surreal situations. They were all possible. Just amazing coincidences or reactions.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 27th September 2018, 9:42 AM

Plus the fact, of course, that many of the plots in One Foot In The Grave were of such a surreal nature that the humour came from the absurdity of the situations, knowing that they would never happen in real life, rather than at the mere unpleasantness and misfortunes of the various characters.

I will respectfully disagree here and say that yes while the events in One Foot were surreal in nature the whole point and, in my view, the genius of David Renwick's writing, was that the plotting was always plausible and everything that happened was a direct result of something set up in the first half of an episode.

Probably been said already, but surely the most obvious bad move was Jack Dee agreeing to appear in this dross - everything is so entirely predictable! Mind you, I imagine the current tiresome "strictly..." furore involving Seann Walsh - who I'd never heard of - is good for its profile?

I think "Bad Move" is one of the best British sitcoms of recent times. It's not great or brilliant in the same way that the classic sitcoms of yesteryear were great and brilliant but it's nevertheless very good indeed.

The writing exudes confidence and every single cast member does a thoroughly good job.

Special mention should, I think, should be made of the acting of Seann Walsh: it's good and, for someone who isn't a professional actor, it's very good indeed.

Talking about comedians who act, I have to say that Kerry Godliman, who is primarily a very decent stand-up comedian, is an absolutely excellent actor. When one considers that acting isn't her main job, the quality of her performances becomes all the more remarkable. For my money (licence fee?), she acts most professional actors right off the screen!

It's amazing that anybody can dislike this sitcom but, as we're always saying, it's a funny old world.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5195/itv_ends_sitcoms/

This has been cancelled and also, no sitcoms on ITV this year!

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 5th February 2019, 10:20 PM

This has been cancelled

I don't think "Bad Move" will be missed by the majority of the viewing public but I do think it will go down in TV history as a decent sitcom.

That's a shame as I quite enjoyed it.

Good Move.

The ITV exec who announced the end of their two current sitcoms said it's very very hard to find good sitcoms. That's a shame and a blow to already beleaguered sitcom writers amateur and pro/broadcasted or unbroadcasted but going by the recent quality of most TV sitcoms he's right, writers have either forgotten how to write good funny sitcom or been influenced into collectively changing sitcom into borecom, a mush of soap drama and gentle humour quirkiness without any real sitcom characters or laughs. :(

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 6th February 2019, 6:08 AM

writers have either forgotten how to write good funny sitcom or been influenced into collectively changing sitcom into borecom, a mush of soap drama and gentle humour quirkiness without any real sitcom characters or laughs. :(

Before the war it was the Green Book BBC writers had to abide by and since then it has been the increasing "power" of the PC Brigade restraining writers and stifling ideas.

Our hands are tied! Bloody snowflakes!

I wonder though if Jack Dee cares because as much as I enjoyed Bad Move I think there was only so much mileage in such a situation.

Quote: tonecapone @ 27th September 2017, 12:16 AM

Jack Dee was pimping this bland-a-thon on Loose Women today. Bad Move makes Lead Balloon look like Fawlty Towers. Should have been on after 9pm with a bit of 'kin swearing to make it seem the faintest bit real. I really loved Kerry Godliman as Becky Hogg in Home Time back in 2009. The shop bit was ripping off Little Britain and Seann Walsh is not funny as the posh whacko next door. Bad Move is just another in a long line of weak mainstream sitcoms. I will be buying My Family on DVD soon if things get worse.

I'm glad I didn't have to say it :D

Quote: Gary Black @ 22nd February 2019, 5:49 PM

I'm glad I didn't have to say it :D

Tonecapone, whom you quote, clearly doesn't think much of "Bad Move" but somehow I don't think Jack Dee and Co are going to lose much sleep following a bad review by somebody who, in another post, expressed the view that "Sex Lives of the Potato Men" is a classic comedy film.

It's come to my channel ITV4. Another bad move. Gave it as many minutes as I could. I concluded the real trouble with this is Jack Dee. He is to sitcoms what Thatcher was to miners. He may get by on radio panel shows and standup (although I've never worked out how) but in a sitcom his stone faced despondency kills it instantly.

I tried to imagine this with a laugh track. Might've livened it up and would've been no more out of place than the cringey characters all popping in for no reason. Flat, uninspired and self consciously quirky, it's all a contrivance and a chore to watch. He just doesn't get sitcom. Drabcom will never be a big hit Jack, people have soaps for that kind of thing. When they want a good laugh at daft characters saying and doing stupid things they watch a sitcom.

What is all this new demand for laughter tracks? It is definitely NOT the way forward for English sitcoms. You don't need to be told when to laugh. Laugh when you think it's funny and I think Jack Dee is a good comedy actor.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 27th February 2019, 5:43 AM

stone faced despondency . . . cringey characters popping in . . . drabcom.

All characteristics that didn't do Hancock's Half Hour any harm.