Buying out-of-print DVDs

Couldn't find a thread on this...

Does anyone have any good tips or places they know of for buying out-of-print DVDs? Currently after a copy of TLC but cheapest I can find it is £40 :( I'm normally quite good at tracking them down, but not this time ;)

Trade-in shops are always a good bet - the likes of CeX and Cash Generator on the high street, or Ziffit, Zapper and Music Magpie on the internet. Needless to say, charity shops and car boot sales are also great for out-of-print stuff - a lot of charity shops have online stores these days as well. Also handy is bestdvdprice.co.uk for comparing prices.

It is on CEX but it's not in stock at the moment. Thanks for all the ideas, I'll get searching

Excuse my ignorance or stupidity. What is TLC apart from a song by AWB. (That's the Average White Band)

It's a hospital sitcom from 2002 starring Alexander Armstrong and Reece Shearsmith, both of whom I love, so I'd quite like to see it https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/tlc/

I think Tim Brooke-Taylor was in it. I think you mean out of circulation DVDs.

I believe he was. Sorry, writer habits >_<

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 10th October 2018, 3:56 PM

I think you mean out of circulation DVDs.

I have to admit I was puzzled by the expression "out of print" to describe DVDs that are no longer available to purchase new.

The fact is, however, that the expression appears to be in relatively common use (even on the IMDb website).

If you google "out of print DVDs" with the quotation marks, you get 18,200 results.

If you google "out of circulation DVDs" with the quotation marks, you get no results at all.

Library books and library materials circulate. DVDs are printed and become out of print.

Technically everything circulates, unless the whole thing becomes pulped (or whatever happens to DVDs, scrapped?) I s'pose it makes some sense to say that DVDs are printed given their shape, wouldn't work with video or audio tapes though.

I've looked into this matter a little further and it appears that the expression "DVD printing" refers to the process by which artwork is printed on the face of a DVD.

I am by no means convinced that the process by which the DVDs themselves are created is called "printing".

"Out of print" has been used in the music industry as long as I can remember. It designates an album (and later CD/DVD) that is no longer being actively manufactured.

Quote: Miss Reason @ 10th October 2018, 2:14 PM

It's a hospital sitcom from 2002 starring Alexander Armstrong and Reece Shearsmith, both of whom I love, so I'd quite like to see it https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/tlc/

CEX price everything due to rarity so at £12 it must be pretty rare and not something they see often but it's a lot cheaper than some of the prices I've seen on Amazon. One seller is asking for £207!

I keep a list of titles I want and search the CEX website frequently to see if anything has come in to stock. I bought my brother a stack of hard to find boxing DVDs from CEX over the course of a few months and am currently looking out for Irish drama as a Christmas gift to my dad. A few weeks ago a Snooker DVD I wanted finally became available to buy that had been out of stock for over a year.

Quote: DaButt @ 11th October 2018, 12:47 PM

"Out of print" has been used in the music industry as long as I can remember. It designates an album (and later CD/DVD) that is no longer being actively manufactured.

Not frequenting Our Price and Virgin Records I wouldn't know that...

Originally, the expression "out of print" was applied to books and other printed media that were no longer being printed. I think we might all agree on that.

With the advent of recorded media (vinyl records, cassette tapes, video tapes, CDs and DVDs), the expression "out of print" was probably carried over by many people as, although it wasn't technically correct, everybody knew what was meant when the expression was used.

Personally, I think "out of production" would have been more appropriate.