Newsjack Series 19 Page 21

What a weird mix of emotions.

They took my LorryLand premise and ran with it. It was the same but different.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the changes - will need to listen again.

Or maybe I shouldn't worry about it and just enjoy the fact that I just had a sketch on Newsjack!

Well done Auditchris, good sketch, I'd be interested to see your original version.

Otherwise, I thought the show was generally a bit weaker this week.

Thanks. Having listened again this morning without clenched buttocks I feel a lot happier/prouder. They did a great job with my raw material. Just weird being script edited for the first time!

Quote: Auditchris @ 5th October 2018, 7:04 AM

Thanks. Having listened again this morning without clenched buttocks I feel a lot happier/prouder. They did a great job with my raw material. Just weird being script edited for the first time!

Were the changes subtle or more obvious?

Oh, wholesale! I'll post my submission at some point. I guess they liked the premise!

I think it's the nature of the very tight NJ timescales - there's no opportunity to give you notes so essentially the rewriting gets done on your behalf. What I sent was (for practical reasons) an early draft and that's very rarely going to make it to broadcast.

I feel like I've entered a brave new world; there's a lot to process!

I had a sketch in script before (cut in edit). I requested a copy of the final script and the only thing which remained of my work was the intro and concept. The rest was entirely different.

This is how they generally work - so you should feel very proud.

Goes back to a point I made before about the importance of great concepts.

Well done.

Thank you!

I've seen lots of people saying similar things - including someone who attended a recording and didn't even recognise their own sketch!

All part of being a writer I guess.

Quote: Auditchris @ 5th October 2018, 8:34 AM

Thank you!

I've seen lots of people saying similar things - including someone who attended a recording and didn't even recognise their own sketch!

All part of being a writer I guess.

Exciting to get it on. Well done.

Well done Auditchris on Lorryland. Out of interest, when you submitted your original how long was it ? I saw a Newsjack 'do' last week was to aim for three pages ( I'd submitted something the previous week which was probably about half the size )

This weeks show - particularly like the Shakespeare builders sketch, and also thought some of the character voicing very good - sometimes it's a bit hit and miss. Anyone else notice that when the contributions were read out last week, it was in alphabetical order of first names, but this week back to alphabetical order of surnames ? Just an observation.....but these minor details can be so important

The Newsjack team seems to have a new contributor correspondent (there's probably a real term for this, so if anyone knows what you officially call "person who emails you to tell you if you're in or not", let me know.)

But I'd like to say: top work by Gwyn Davies, who was not only forthcoming in saying which submission of mine got cut, but also explained why it didn't make the show. Very helpful to know, as it is something I've often wondered with my near inclusions for previous series.

I've posed my original LorryLand submission on this series' rejects thread if anyone is interested.

Quote: Callooh Callay @ 5th October 2018, 2:49 PM

The Newsjack team seems to have a new contributor correspondent (there's probably a real term for this, so if anyone knows what you officially call "person who emails you to tell you if you're in or not", let me know.)

But I'd like to say: top work by Gwyn Davies, who was not only forthcoming in saying which submission of mine got cut, but also explained why it didn't make the show. Very helpful to know, as it is something I've often wondered with my near inclusions for previous series.

The word you're looking for is 'intern'

Unpaid, of course

Out of interest does anyone know what sort of percentage of the recorded material is cut before the actual show? I've had about 8 one-liners in over the years (no sketches) but never got the 'close but didn't make the final cut' email. Is this only something that happens with sketches or do some one-liners get binned?

I've had a couple of nearly emails for one-liners. Never been to a recording though so not sure of the numbers.

Quote: Exe Chris @ 6th October 2018, 7:51 AM

Out of interest does anyone know what sort of percentage of the recorded material is cut before the actual show? I've had about 8 one-liners in over the years (no sketches) but never got the 'close but didn't make the final cut' email. Is this only something that happens with sketches or do some one-liners get binned?

I've been submitting for three years. I've had a sketch on and, I think, three one liners. I've had the nearly email two or three times, only once did I check what it was. It was a one liner.