The most underrated comedy of all time? Page 19

Early Doors is my favourite but of course it wouldn't feature in a best of all time scenario.

The Brittas Empire can just do one.

Hardware from 2003/04 written by Simon Nye. Failing that 15 Storeys High from 2002/04 or Pete Vs Life from 2010/11. Just like Early Doors they all ran for only 2 series, making them shorter and better in quality. I think the Fawlty Towers rule is still true to this day, do two series then quit while you're ahead or on a high.

Quote: george roper @ 31st August 2015, 11:33 PM

Love Thy Neighbour

With the shift in attitudes and laws, LTN very rarely gets a favourable review these days. Like a lot of people say, you need to take into account the era in which it was made - different time, different rules.

Quote: John M @ 11th November 2017, 7:37 PM

With the shift in attitudes and laws, LTN very rarely gets a favourable review these days. Like a lot of people say, you need to take into account the era in which it was made - different time, different rules.

I remember my parents age group laughing like drains at this when I was a kid. As I had only dim memories of it (as it has rarely been repeated-shock!) I watched a dvd recently. If you take away the obvious unsavoury race politics and judge it as a comedy vehicle, it just looks cheap, badly acted, and has very few gags. This is also the case with most of the ITV sitcoms of this period.

Nothing more underrated in this world as the works of stand up comedian actor Norm MacDonald. Love him a lot just wish his work was better known. I guess genious like his is never noticed until its gone. Shame really.

Quote: Kapow @ 28th November 2017, 2:21 PM

Norm MacDonald. Love him a lot just wish his work was better known.

He has a special on Netflix. I love his unique understated delivery.

Heartburn Hotel from the late 90s.

Touch Me, I'm Karen Taylor.

Operation Good Guys

Spiceworld, but I'm biassed.

The Thin Blue Line has to be one for me. I really loved it and I think it should get more praise. It only went for two series, but I really enjoyed it.

Citizen Smith: Overlooked by Only Fools and Horses, John Sullivan 2nd best sitcom. Really good series, loved Robert Lindsay in this and Mike Grady. Brilliant show and very underrated.

I'm sure there is a lot more, but I will think of some later.

Colin's Sandwich.

Plenty of great suggestions which makes it all the more infuriating that stations like BBC, Gold, Drama and ITV 3 keep repeating the same old shows.

My personal favourites that are rarely repeated are WATCHING and COUPLING. Watching ran for 7 series but rarely gets a mention despite being one of ITV longest running comedies and had good ratings. Not been repeated since Granada went.

Don't think Coupling has been repeated, especially the first 3 series, very clever writing

Quote: Kapow @ 28th November 2017, 2:21 PM

Nothing more underrated in this world as the works of stand up comedian actor Norm MacDonald. Love him a lot just wish his work was better known. I guess genious like his is never noticed until its gone. Shame really.

Absolutely agree! A truly unique comic voice. Have been a fan since he did Weekend Update on SNL in the mid 90s.