Newsjack Series 19 Page 17

Actually, yes the sooty and sweep bit was good and the drunk Jodie Whittaker-Dr Who one...

Just listened to the podcast; mine was the one-liner near the start about Hepatitis C / Unusual children's names.
Was surprised to hear the sketch about (*spoiler alert!*) Basil Brush being the Croydon Cat-Killer - it was funny but a bit macabre...

Quote: Exe Chris @ 28th September 2018, 9:02 PM

Just listened to the podcast; mine was the one-liner near the start about Hepatitis C / Unusual children's names.
Was surprised to hear the sketch about (*spoiler alert!*) Basil Brush being the Croydon Cat-Killer - it was funny but a bit macabre...

That was a funny one liner.

Quote: Exe Chris @ 28th September 2018, 9:02 PM

That was a great one-liner.

The Basil Brush sketch was a great idea but the impression let it down a bit, and it fizzled out a bit.

Quote: Will Cam @ 29th September 2018, 6:54 PM

The Basil Brush sketch was a great idea but the impression let it down a bit

But on the other hand, that Batman sketch was absolutely made by whoever voiced the Penguin.

@ExeChris....brilliant gag, great job me fellow West Country mucker!!

Quote: Danno @ 30th September 2018, 7:10 PM

@ExeChris....brilliant gag, great job me fellow West Country mucker!!

Azerbaijan = West Country?!

via Start Bay

two really tenuously linked, flopsy-dopsy, rushed and desperate sketches sent. just didn't want to admit defeat :(

Quote: Danno @ 30th September 2018, 9:19 PM

via Start Bay

two really tenuously linked, flopsy-dopsy, rushed and desperate sketches sent. just didn't want to admit defeat :(

Same.

And me; apart from it was just the one sketch.

"This is brilliant", I thought as I gave it that last read through before hitting send. "Genius. There is no doubt they'll air it." Send. "Oh hang on, how relevant is that story now? And is my sketch really related to the story at all? Did I really write five lines of dialogue before a joke lands? And that line is a bit offensive. Oh well, I'll do better next week."

Good luck, all. And at least next week is week 5; a week that has such a dearth of good submissions that even I have had sketches in it for the previous two series!

Mine were on Oliver Cromwell's statue and (really rushed and one they will probably get loads on) Sam Markle's visit.
I suddenly just thought of a different premise for the statue one. Never mind.

Good luck with all your submissions

I couldn't muster a sketch this week

On the plus side, am pleased with two one liners so far - but I do struggle with the newsjackpedia concept. At the start of the series I thought this sounds a promising idea - now I'm not so sure

Quote: Danno @ 30th September 2018, 9:19 PM

via Start Bay

Never admit defeat. It's better to write something than not. And it's better to send in something rather than nothing. (With obvious caveats.)

Quote: Kenny Bania @ 1st October 2018, 12:46 PM

Good luck with all your submissions

I couldn't muster a sketch this week

On the plus side, am pleased with two one liners so far - but I do struggle with the newsjackpedia concept. At the start of the series I thought this sounds a promising idea - now I'm not so sure

Still not sure I understand what they want from the Newsjackpedia. I send stuff regardless.

Quote: B T F @ 1st October 2018, 12:23 PM

Mine were on Oliver Cromwell's statue and (really rushed and one they will probably get loads on) Sam Markle's visit.
I suddenly just thought of a different premise for the statue one. Never mind.

I've done that before. And thought of better punchlines for the end of sketches.

Quote: Mrkgrngr @ 1st October 2018, 12:55 PM

Still not sure I understand what they want from the Newsjackpedia. I send stuff regardless.

And it's at least as hard to convert a decent one-liner into a Newsjackpedia entry as it was to turn one into a Number Cruncher. Kind of feels like it's not worth my time to try and compete for the 5 or so Newsjackpedia entries they air each week. I think I'd prefer it if they just had Breaking News and Sketches, rather than force a limited format on us.

And is it just me, or since they dropped the Number Cruncher segment, does practically ever news story you read now seem to have a numerical bent to it? Just me?

Quote: Callooh Callay @ 1st October 2018, 1:24 PM

And it's at least as hard to convert a decent one-liner into a Newsjackpedia entry as it was to turn one into a Number Cruncher. Kind of feels like it's not worth my time to try and compete for the 5 or so Newsjackpedia entries they air each week. I think I'd prefer it if they just had Breaking News and Sketches, rather than force a limited format on us.

And is it just me, or since they dropped the Number Cruncher segment, does practically ever news story you read now seem to have a numerical bent to it? Just me?

As tricky as I find Newsjackpedia, writing to a limited format is kinda what comedy writing is about. By that I mean if you get a job writing comedy, you'll have to write to a brief or voice anyway so we might as well get practicing.