Robin's Nest Page 2

It's funny, I remember the characters of George and Mildren being scene stealers in Man About The House, and so I rather enjoyed their show more when I was a Kid watching it in the late 70s early 80s but it played ealrier this year and it just dated so badly. I found it more annoying than funny. But I still loved the characters.

So I'd probably buy the DVDs if I saw them cheap enough, but I'd never fully understand why I had.

I seem to enjoy it more whenever I see it!

Quote: Sir Geoffrey Loftus @ November 26 2009, 1:55 AM GMT

It's funny, I remember the characters of George and Mildren being scene stealers in Man About The House, and so I rather enjoyed their show more when I was a Kid watching it in the late 70s early 80s but it played ealrier this year and it just dated so badly. I found it more annoying than funny. But I still loved the characters.

So I'd probably buy the DVDs if I saw them cheap enough, but I'd never fully understand why I had.

Man About The House.
Agree it's dated today and not funny anymore. But it was hilarious in the 70s.
It played in Argentina in a time where sex was taboo and a repressive society. So the girls in Man About the House were deliciously sensual, plus all the sexual nuances by George and Mildred were the best ever seen on TV so far those days.

Quote: luis kmentt @ December 3 2009, 1:19 PM GMT

It played in Argentina in a time where sex was taboo and a repressive society.

Ironic, as it was a time when they had a reformed slut married to 'El Presidente!'.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 3 2009, 5:44 PM GMT

Ironic, as it was a time when they had a reformed slut married to 'El Presidente!'.

Actually, the slut became President at Peron's death in 1974, and was ousted by the military junta in 1976. Man About The House aired in 1979 when there was strong repression, I was just 15yo so loved the series, dreaming of living on my own and sharing a flat with two birds... :)

Continuing a Latin American flavour, George and Mildred was also the top comedy series in Cuba. Maybe the authorities took a liking to proletarian George and his run-ins with his reactionary bourgeois neighbour, Senor Formile.

Quote: youngian @ December 8 2009, 1:15 PM GMT

Continuing a Latin American flavour, George and Mildred was also the top comedy series in Cuba. Maybe the authorities took a liking to proletarian George and his run-ins with his reactionary bourgeois neighbour, Senor Formile.

Laughing out loud

I remember watching it as a young teenager. I went cold on it after one episode ended with Robin angst-ridden over how to pay the bills and a lot of the discussion was revolving around adult conversations that I did not really understand, or want to. The characters became too angry, frustrated and serious over money, and I got so bored with the same restaurant set. I am wondering if the producers decided to use the series as a means of addressing money issues in the restaurant business in reality, as the series Agony did with Maureen Lipman when they decided to move from simple comedy to addressing serious issues and trying to actually help people. (Am I the only one who thinks this?)

Quote: moonvisage @ February 2 2010, 8:09 PM GMT

I remember watching it as a young teenager. I went cold on it after one episode ended with Robin angst-ridden over how to pay the bills and a lot of the discussion was revolving around adult conversations that I did not really understand, or want to. The characters became too angry, frustrated and serious over money, and I got so bored with the same restaurant set. I am wondering if the producers decided to use the series as a means of addressing money issues in the restaurant business in reality, as the series Agony did with Maureen Lipman when they decided to move from simple comedy to addressing serious issues and trying to actually help people. (Am I the only one who thinks this?)

It's just a continuation of the "the kids are poor" theme established in Man About the House. The fact that Robin is cash light also serves as the device that keeps the father-in-law so firmly in the picture.

Quote: youngian @ 8th December 2009, 6:15 PM GMT

This is probably the most informative thing I've seen on t'internet for a while.

I found this quite hard to get into. I didn't really enjoy it. It's definitely the worst out of the 3 shows. Man About The House, is the best out of the 3. I just don't think the setting, the idea worked. I'm not a fan of the characters, I just find it quite boring.

Yes although it stood alone as a completely different sitcom in a workplace setting mostly, it played out like another domcom from memory, and was popular enough to run for six series. I remember finding it a bit of a chore mostly with some shoehorned in humour around the one armed dish washer. I think I had it on mainly for looking at Tessa's Wyatts. The whole set up was very untrue to life - a constantly struggling bistro being open for five years in West London. :S I'm not sure the writers thought that through.

What I liked about MATH was that is was almost like Whizzer and Chips, two comedies in one, easy to see how G&M became a natural spin off, RN is repeated on Forces but may watch it to see what it's like.

Quote: Jack Massey @ 5th November 2009, 12:59 AM

Despite the fact I really can't afford it at the minute, I saw the first series of this sitcom for half price in HMV today, so I purchased it. Watched the first episode, some funny moments and I think it has a lot of potential to be a sitcom I will like. Has anyone else seen it? What do they think of it?

In my opinion it's better than Man About The House .
The 3 main characters are fantastic.
Richard O' Sullivan is perfect as usual.
Highly recommend it.

Quote: Robin482 @ 25th July 2022, 1:02 PM

In my opinion it's better than Man About The House .
The 3 main characters are fantastic.
Richard O' Sullivan is perfect as usual.
Highly recommend it.

Yes but there's no Paula Wilcox.