Dad's Army - The New Movie Page 2

Not sure about this at all. However, if I had to pick a cast, I'd like to think it would be a tribute to British comedy.

Mainwaring - Rik Mayall
Wilson - John Cleese
Jones - Rowan Atkinson
Walker - Ade Edmondson

Actually, that's all I can think of for now.

Good use of class, but I think Ade looks more like Mainwaring.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 28th April 2014, 9:07 PM BST

Good use of class, but I think Ade looks more like Mainwaring.

This is true, but I'd be more concerned about them getting the characteristics right, than visual accuracy of the characters.

I think Rik would suit Mainwaring's pompous attitude, and Ade, likewise, could well pull off a roguish role.

Ade is into straight acting now. Just saw him as a Police Inspector (I think) in Prey with John Simm.

Quote: Chappers @ 28th April 2014, 10:17 PM BST

Ade is into straight acting now. Just saw him as a Police Inspector (I think) in Prey with John Simm.

Well, Walker was never a central 'laugh.' His role in the show was always fairly serious, with only his wit providing laughs. As a character, he perhaps had the most serious role?

Anyway, what about Lee Evans for Pike?

Quote: Aldeem @ 28th April 2014, 6:59 PM BST

Terrible idea, unless you're too young to remember it first time around. And, if you are, chances are you won't be interested in the subject matter, so either way a waste of time and money.

To be fair, the people who went to see the stage plays presumably accepted a different cast so if the film is well made the audience might as well.

More and more films these days are trying for the silver pound so this might not be a bad idea depending on how it is executed.

A few years ago I saw an amateur stage production which was basically 3 old episodes. I was able to believe in the new actors because the original scripts were so good.

Would I feel the same about a feature length film with a new script? I very much doubt it. I certainly would not pay to go and see it.

Quote: Will Cam @ 29th April 2014, 8:13 AM BST

A few years ago I saw an amateur stage production which was basically 3 old episodes. I was able to believe in the new actors because the original scripts were so good.

Would I feel the same about a feature length film with a new script? I very much doubt it. I certainly would not pay to go and see it.

Whether other people feel the same will depend on the reviews I would think. The initial information on the casting is encouraging so it depends on the script.

Could this be another Carry on Columbus? Absolutely. But if they execute it correctly then it might find an audience.

Personally I think there's great potential if they get the script and story right. There's such a love for this sitcom they are bound to get the nuance right. In America it's still relatively unknown and yet they have a huge interest in WW2 and military nostalgia is big. If the makers get it right it could explode. The Beeb have a ready made US size sitcom they can syndicate.

If they're on the ball they will create a new character for Ian Lavender. To not have the only living cast member in the movie would be a massive error which could even kill it here. I'm very much looking forward to seeing this on the big screen.

Wasn't 4 Lions a modern remake of Dad's Army.

40 minutes into this and not one laugh, not even a titter.

Overall, do we think the casting was better in the 2016 Movie, or the BBC biography feature length 'We're Doomed..'?

For me:

Mainwaring - A tie between the film and Doomed in terms of appearance. Both looked just like Lowe, however, Toby Jones pulled off the voice.

Wilson - Film

Jones - Both were terrible, however, film Jones just about sneaks it for appearance uncanniness

Frazer - Doomed (By far)

Walker - Doomed (By far)

Pikey - 2016 film - just. However, Doomed Pike nailed the voice.

Godfrey - 2016 Film. Doomed was a good effort mind.

Hodges - Doomed