Things that piss you off Page 1,743

Have you seen that new Waitrose (and f**king partners) and John Lewis (and f**king partners) advert?

Am I the only one who f**king hates precocious kids?

Haven't seen it but I'd exterminate every bastard who appears in ads. They're all smug, self-satisfied swine at whom I constantly hurl abuse when watching tv.

Opening shrink wrapped LP records.

I used my thumb nail because you can't use a knife in case in case you scratch the record and I always cut my finger under the bloody nail!

Quote: Briosaid @ 6th September 2018, 11:53 PM

Haven't seen it but I'd exterminate every bastard who appears in ads. They're all smug, self-satisfied swine at whom I constantly hurl abuse when watching tv.

Like the woman in the Admiral ads
She IS pleased with herself.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 12th September 2018, 8:23 PM

Like the woman in the Admiral ads
She IS pleased with herself.

Yes. Another one I loathe. The personification of simpering smugness.

Quote: Briosaid @ 14th September 2018, 12:00 AM

Yes. Another one I loathe. The personification of simpering smugness.

Yes. Lovely isn't she!

Quote: Chappers @ 16th September 2018, 8:12 PM

Yes. Lovely isn't she!

Where's the emoticon for 'puke'? Oh, there it is ... Sick

Bloody predictive text and M & S shopping trolleys which don't always take the new pound coins easily.

Quote: Briosaid @ 19th September 2018, 1:59 PM

M & S shopping trolleys which don't always take the new pound coins easily.

You have to pay to use a trolley ("cart" in this part of the world)?

Quote: DaButt @ 19th September 2018, 7:39 PM

You have to pay to use a trolley ("cart" in this part of the world)?

There's a mechanism that opens to return the coin to you when you return it.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 19th September 2018, 9:15 PM

There's a mechanism that opens to return the coin to you when you return it.

Ah. Although I assume homeless people looking for a new vehicle won't have much trouble scraping up a pound. I've been in a few stores where their carts are geo-fenced and the wheels stop turning once you venture past a certain spot in the parking lot.

I looked up the new pound coin design and was surprised to see that the old ones are no longer legal tender. My daughter had the same problem with a note about 15 years ago. Our money is good forever, so you could pay for your meal with a note or coin from the 1800s if you're stupid enough to let them go for face value. I guess that's why people around the world keep their under-the-mattress savings in U.S. $100 bills.

The reason for the pound coin thing is that people actually steal the trolleys and dump them all over the place. Not all stores have the coin thing. Tesco seems to have the arrangement you mention whereby It's impossible to move the trolley outwith the car park.

The USA must suffer drastically from coin and note forgery.

The reason that the pound coin was replaced recently was because around 1 in 30 of the circulating coins were forgeries. This is also why the overlap period was much shorter than earlier coin changes.

Quote: billwill @ 20th September 2018, 2:31 AM

The USA must suffer drastically from coin and note forgery.

Definitely not, as far as coins are concerned. I've never heard of anyone counterfeiting any coin other than a rare, collectible one. We have dollar coins and 50-cent pieces, but they are rare as hens' teeth when it comes to circulation. I doubt I see one of either denomination most years. The largest coins in general circulation are only worth 25 cents, so Americans are not used to using coins in sales transactions. Coins are something that you just dump in a big jar and take to the coin counting machine every few years. It's always a bit of a shock when I travel to the UK and I see people counting out change at the till. I have to remind myself that some of your coins are worth as much as some of our notes.

I doubt people are counterfeiting anything smaller than a $20 note here. The next-smallest denomination is $10, but that's hardly worth the prison sentence. Fifties and hundreds are the largest notes, but they're sufficiently uncommonly used that they'll probably get a careful screening.

I've read that most counterfeit American currency is circulating in other countries where fakes are easier to pass off to people who won't notice any irregularities. North Korea is said to produce "super" counterfeit $100 notes that they use to bolster their economy.

Quote: billwill @ 20th September 2018, 2:31 AM

The reason that the pound coin was replaced recently was because around 1 in 30 of the circulating coins were forgeries.

Wow. I guess people could do the same thing with our $1 coins, but it's hard enough getting the real things accepted at a store. A young cashier is likely to ask for managerial assistance if handed one. At least the newer ones are bronze colored, the originals looked very similar to a 25-cent coin and were often accepted as such.

Hand someone a $2 bill and their eyes will bug out. Sometimes they'll even try to give you change for a $20 note.

Are your notes still all the same colour?