The general pop/rock - music thread Page 173

Quote: lofthouse @ 25th June 2018, 9:24 PM

Ha! It's alright I guess

Ain't the Clash though is it?

Jones and Strummer probably wished that they could play guitar like Allen Collins. Cool

Skynyrd opened for a Who tour and later so did the Clash, so they're practically brothers.

Quote: Chappers @ 24th June 2018, 8:18 PM

I know that basically they're all old gits but having recently seen the Zombies I've just bought tickets for Roy Wood and Joan Baez - not together - on top of the Los Pacaminos (Paul Young's band) and Judy Collins gigs I'm going to later this year and early next year.

I think that Roy Wood was one of the first people to release a genuine "SOLO" Album. Who else has? I know probably Todd Rundgren and maybe Dave Edmunds.

He played all of the instruments and produced it himself.

I saw Wizzard in 1974 but can't wait for this.

Quote: lofthouse @ 25th June 2018, 9:18 PM

Yeah they aren't really my cup of tea !

Bands of that ilk aren't of any real interest to me - that said I was surprised I'd never heard about it before...

I've never really got into that era of American rock either. I don't mind a few Boston songs I suppose...

Just read that Aretha Franklin is seriously ill. Hope she gets better soon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45172883

I just heard a snatch of a song on the radio that I liked from years ago so I Googled the line as I couldn't remember who it was.

"Step right up , hurry hurry..."

Three different songs came up. "Sideshow" by Barry Biggs, "Blue Magic" by Sideshow (never heard of this one) and "Step right up" by Jaki Graham.

It was the Jaki Graham song that I liked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Oaz6FoeOC8

Just been on my regular round of charity shops and picked up a few interesting things including Van Der Graaf live.

However one intriguing album which of course I was aware at the time but never took the time to hear is by Allman and Woman - AKA Gregg and Cher.

Surprisingly soulful. Very interesting.

Phil Collins, It's just another day for me in Paradise.

Quote: Bill Poster @ 22nd June 2018, 10:28 PM

Oh.I should have asked "Who's that girl" :)

My dad keeps lecturing me about my Madonna obsession. I said, Papa don't preach.

There was a great joke about Ringo circa 1985: 'In 1968, Ringo left the Beatles over musical differences. They were musical, he was different.'

Listening to some Who and remembering Keith Moon. He died 40 years ago today.

Sadly, and in the same bed that Mama Cass died in or is that a rock myth along with the ham sandwich?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 9th September 2018, 11:46 PM

Sadly, and in the same bed that Mama Cass died in or is that a rock myth along with the ham sandwich?

The ham sandwich is a myth, but they both died in the same flat a few years apart. It was owned by Harry Nilsson.

The first single Mel B ever bought was Mickey by Toni Basil. The parallels with me are overwhelming:
1. Mickey is a popular version of my name.
2. Basil is the name of a leading charcter in my fourth favourite sitcom, 'Fawlty Towers'.
3. Toni has absolutely nothing to do with me whatsoever.

Dude that is spooky

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 18th September 2018, 1:45 PM

3. Toni has absolutely nothing to do with me whatsoever.

Surely, together with the letters W, H & S, Toni forms an anagram of Mel C's place of birth.

It must be fate.
What's the difference between the Spice Girls reunion and my mother's undies? The reunion MIGHT be on.
I gave Electronic a phoney set of scales. Never gotta weigh with it.

Looking forward to seeing this lot on Saturday. Not all my faves but should be a good show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZHsgoMd4VI