Killing Eve

I can't be the only one who's absolutely adoring this series from Phoebe Waller Bridge. The performances across the board are fantastic, and the dialogue is by turns funny, a tad immature but always interesting and wrong footing you with humour where there should be horror.

About to start this - it looks fantastic.

So many new dramas starting and I can't watch them all. Strangers, Wanderlust, Vanity Fair,,,

I'll try to get to watch it plus Black Earth Rising which I understand is quite good too.

I've just watched episode 1. It's a bit like 2 different programmes bolted together.

A realistic drama set in England and a Man from Uncle type international story. I've only seen episode 1 and I know the rest of it is on catch up.

Brilliant stuff. An exciting and compelling thriller with a welcome dose of wit. Phoebe Waller - Bridge is clearly a major talent.

Top stuff & smart with it.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 23rd September 2018, 4:03 PM

Phoebe Waller - Bridge is clearly a major talent.

Let's not get carried away.

"Fleabag" was funny and original but I have to confess I'm struggling to see similar merit in "Killing Eve" which is, in my view, simply a bit unusual and trying quite hard to be so.

Both are certainly very well written. She's definitely a proven talent for having written either series let alone both.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 24th September 2018, 10:01 PM

She's definitely a proven talent for having written either series.

I wouldn't argue with that but, surely, the same is true of anybody who has written a critically-acclaimed sitcom or TV drama series.

My point is that, if all such people were to be arranged in order of their writing talent, Phoebe would not (at this moment in time) be ranked among the best of them.

She's a talent, yes - but I feel it is a bit early in the day to describe her as a "major" talent in the TV writing industry.

She's written a brilliant comedy and a great drama. Who has ever done this without being a major talent?

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 25th September 2018, 2:16 PM

She's written a brilliant comedy and a great drama. Who has ever done this without being a major talent?

Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question as I believe it to be based upon a false premise, to wit that "Fleabag" was a brilliant comedy and that "Killing Eve" is a great drama.

I must make it clear that I'm not knocking either show. Both are good and original and only a talented writer could have written them.

But "brilliant" and "great"?

That's going too far, I think.

What shows would you concede are brilliant and great?

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 25th September 2018, 3:41 PM

What shows would you concede are brilliant and great?

TV shows that run for years and years inevitably have their ups and downs with regard to the writing and other factors so, where I name such shows, I'm judging them at their best. Accordingly, I'd say the following sitcoms qualify as brilliant:

Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, The Young Ones, The Office (UK), Blackadder, 'Allo! 'Allo!, Father Ted, Yes Minister, I'm Alan Partridge, The League of Gentlemen

. . . and the following dramas qualify as great:

The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, The West Wing, M.A.S.H, Line of Duty, Peaky Blinders, Prime Suspect, The Singing Detective, Brideshead Revisited, House of Cards (UK), The Street.

No problem with that list at all. I'm sure posterity is a factor here though.
(MASH is comedy and drama, I suppose).

I'm always puzzled,why Early Doors does not appear to be placed into the cupboard of good stuff. I attended the stage version last night ,sold out Newcastle's city hall.Standing ovation thoroughly deserved