Newsjack Series 19 Page 4

You don't get any feedback on the negatives. It's not good in that respect.

Dan

No feedback. You might get some if you request after the series once things slow down.

Just keep trying different things and make use of the resources shared in the first post and listening each week.

I'm trying not to sweat it this series. I've written some sketches and jokes this week that I wouldn't have without the NJ deadlines and I'm probably a marginally better writer as a result.

I'm choosing to see that as the point of NJ, not getting something on the radio.

Easy to say obviously and no doubt I'll be constantly checking my phone at around six o'clock!

Thanks for the replies. I do try different approaches to sketches but just fear that if I get a fundamental thing wrong every single time, could be oblivious.

There's always the reject thread. That'll pop up this evening and people will be happy to offer friendly constructive feedback.

I will make use of that and will be prepared to be told my stuff was rubbish. But there have been rejected submissions from other people that I have seen that were much better than some of the stuff that made the cut, that I wonder if there are some unwritten rules that people might be missing.

I think if you look at the helpful tips, blogs, etc you can see the basics. Intro in Angela's voice with one or two jokes (different to the sketch jokes). 2 to 3 pages max. Use their format. Topical as possible (Friday onwards). Packed with funny jokes and strong punch line. Take note of 2 men and 2 women cast. No swear words, court action stuff, libellous sketches, things in bad taste. Persistence. Avoid big stories.

I sent in one this week I actually liked. I don't therefore take it personally that it did not get on. It may not be topical enough as it was just pre: Friday but I liked the sketch so thought what the hell. They must have a lot of possible material that does not get on as I reckon usually roughly 4 sketches a week get on from the non com writers. They get sent well over 600 a week roughly.
Humour is individual. I think there is a lot of luck in it once you start to get competent at it.

Good luck for tonight and next week!

I've had encouraging feedback in the past when I've had something that made the record but got cut, but they don't tend to give it generally.

Oh well, another evening of sitting with the email open pressing refresh :)

Yeah, my main goal this series is to try and be noticed for consistency. I had a nice message at the end last time saying that my name was coming up often, even though I never made the final edit. I'd like to build on that so I'll be glued to my inbox.

There are always News Revue and the Treason Show that do topical sketches, so you could adapt for them. Put more swearing in, as they're live shows. And if you have a sketch that ends up with a (male) cast member naked, send it to Treason, as I think that's one of their hallmark 'traditions' in each show!

Repeatability is the key!

Also, however much you think it's not, the news is cyclical, and a similar story your sketch is based upon will very likely come around again (however *unlikely* it seems - and believe me, it can seem *extremely* unlikely!), so nothing is a waste of time! File it away for another day.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ 13th September 2018, 3:05 PM

There are always News Revue and the Treason Show that do topical sketches, so you could adapt for them. Put more swearing in, as they're live shows. And if you have a sketch that ends up with a (male) cast member naked, send it to Treason, as I think that's one of their hallmark 'traditions' in each show!

Repeatability is the key!

Also, however much you think it's not, the news is cyclical, and a similar story your sketch is based upon will very likely come around again (however *unlikely* it seems - and believe me, it can seem *extremely* unlikely!), so nothing is a waste of time! File it away for another day.

Dan

I was delighted to get something on the Treason Show and the director is very nice and kindly gave me positive feedback.

I was also surprised to get a speech and a oneliner on Newsrevue. Never had anything on NJ. I went to see the Treason Show in Brighton. It's a fun show. Recommend submitting to them.

Also for excellent feedback I recommend sending sketches to Release The Clowns when their submission window is next open. It took ages for them to get round to me and my sketches did not get on but the feedback was very detailed on why.

Best of luck everyone.

What time do the positive emails usually start coming in? #PositiveThinking

Quote: johnfromsoho @ 13th September 2018, 5:27 PM

What time do the positive emails usually start coming in? #PositiveThinking

Not sure as never had one!
:D:D

Folks say around 5 ish to 6.45 ish maybe??

Pretty soon some people will post a positive result...then that crushing feeling hits.

Then you do it all again.