What are you reading right now? Page 233

Just finished 'Why Mummy Drinks' (Gill Simms) which was very funny. Have now started 'Lionel Asbo' by Martin Amis. It isn't at all the kind of thing I'd thought he'd write, but then I've never read any of his books, though I was addicted to his father's stuff in my late teens/early 20's.

I am reading a crime thriller 'And then there were none' written a Agatha Christie. An engaging book and really good to read.

Quote: Brian Mcculloch Glasgow @ 10th July 2018, 1:20 PM

I am reading a crime thriller 'And then there were none' written a Agatha Christie. An engaging book and really good to read.

Just don't refer to it under the original title.

'And there were None' a thriller written by the one and only Agatha Christie. A good read so far.

Tom Sharpe's Porterhouse Blue for the umpteenth time.

Riotous Assembly is my favourite Tom Sharpe and when it comes to wholesale chuckling I opt for either A Confederacy of Dunces or any Jeeves especially the Code of the Woosters . Sadly I watch way way more comedy that I read it which is sad in a way .

Enjoyed Wilt !

Still reading a Hancock biography

Dude was losing it big time near the end

Someone gave him one of those Slinky toys and he was convinced it was possessed by some demonic entity

One night he dug a big hole at the beach and buried it

Read 'Wilt' a hundred years ago but after that they all became a bit 'Samey' though I did laugh.

https://genius.com/Steven-spielberg-et-ii-nocturnal-fears-annotated

The stone roses - war and peace

Fascinating account (in Italian) of Ingmar Bergman's plan to make an episodic film about Jesus' final days. There's a draft but the project was finally given to Zefirelli. http://www.ingmarbergman.se/en/event/gospel-according-bergman-story-unfinished-masterpiece

Catch me if you can.
The autobiography of Frank Abagnale.

You may have seen the film of the same name by Steven Spielberg
He must have struggled what to show and not show in the film as its packed from front to back with amazing stories.

This is the man (or boy) that at age 16 conned Pan Am airways clothing department into giving him a pilots uniform.
He then forged a name badge and flew over a million miles free of charge whilst staying in the best hotels all over the world.
When the FBI were on his trail, he changed tack and pretended to be a top doctor and worked in a hospital for a long while.
Then he became a lawyer and then back to being a pretend pilot.
The film truly didn't do his story justice.
Even when he was arrested, he escaped to carry on his adventure.

He freely admits he was a criminal and never glorifies his actions - he just tells how he did it.
It's one of those books where you say 'I'll just read another chapter' and three hours later your nose is still in the book.

Thanks for the suggestion as it's one of my favorite films and it's a fascinating story. Great cast in the film as well. I read one of his earlier scams was to put his own bank details on stacks of paying in slips and leave them on bank counters so unsuspecting customers would deposit money in to his account.

Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time.
In my Cambridge days, I once met Stephen Hawking. Was it difficult, talking to the world's most intelligent, innovative, profound, influential, legendary thinker? Of course. But he tried hard and got there in the end.

I wasn't sure what was missing from Roy Castle's autobiography... Then I realised: 'Dedication! Dedication, that's what you need.'