Newsjack Series 19 Page 2

We sent in ours - sketches about Wetherspoons banning dogs and Starbucks opening a branch in Italy.

Good luck to all :)

They sound like great sketch ideas. I went for omnivorous sharks and Serena Williams' umpire dispute (the Serena Williams one was not great, first draft, written at top speed, new experience for me to do it so quickly as I had the idea in the last hour but never mind).

Ha! I also went for Starbucks in Italy and also one on Australian airport customs.

At least I know not to get too excited if someone reports seeing a Starbucks sketch at the record!

Quote: Auditchris @ 10th September 2018, 12:34 PM

Ha! I also went for Starbucks in Italy and also one on Australian airport customs.

At least I know not to get too excited if someone reports seeing a Starbucks sketch at the record!

ha ha! what angle did you go for? we went for 'why did it take so long? perhaps it was too hard for them to translate the menu...'

Quote: Bonzo @ 10th September 2018, 12:45 PM

ha ha! what angle did you go for? we went for 'why did it take so long? perhaps it was too hard for them to translate the menu...'

Ha, great idea! I was inspired by the fact that Italian coffee houses sell drinks for about £1 - so my sketch became an episode of 'Rip Off Italy' with an Italian trying Starbucks for the first time and exposing it as an expensive forgery.

Quote: Auditchris @ 10th September 2018, 1:01 PM

Ha, great idea! I was inspired by the fact that Italian coffee houses sell drinks for about £1 - so my sketch became an episode of 'Rip Off Italy' with an Italian trying Starbucks for the first time and exposing it as an expensive forgery.

ooh - that's good! :)

Well one of my Newsjackpedia gags has now been made redundant by a newer story and I've decided I'm not too keen on another of them.

Now desperately searching the news for replacements but struggling.

How's everyone else getting on?

I have written THE BEST innuendo about a hard Brexit! And I've written a sketch that involves Donald Trump being not very good.

If either Brexit or Trump get mentioned in next week's Newsjack they've stolen the idea from me!

P.S. I used the word "hard" to imply an erect penis.

Is it just me or has the news morphed into serious boring stories at one end and reality show drivel at the other, with all those 'feel good' or unusual type stories (which are Newsjack worthy) now having drifted into social media where there is no 'national audiance'? Or am I just not very good at spotting appropriate stories?

No Will, that sounds about right to me.

Really struggling at the moment to find something. I use the news app and subscribe to a number of feeds. Some of them which used to give me decent stories now appear to be dedicated to Katie Price gossip.

Quote: Thosisd @ 10th September 2018, 1:35 PM

Well one of my Newsjackpedia gags has now been made redundant by a newer story and I've decided I'm not too keen on another of them.

Now desperately searching the news for replacements but struggling.

How's everyone else getting on?

Have one I think is funnyish but maybe too old and a small story. Had two more topical but not funny. Decided to go with funnyish but old one as nothing better.
Have just thought of another sort of topical and vaguely humorous.
That is it so far.

I'm finding the Newsjackopedia section quite interesting, I did get on quite well with the Number Crunchers though and did get a few on so hopefully the new section doesn't do me over!

Good luck for Thursday everyone! Episode 1 here we go!

J x

Totally lacking in inspiration this week! Oh well.

So what sketches did you all go for?

I did my first sports sketch with parrot interrupting cricket match and US Military sleep technique.

Best of luck everyone. Anyone got tickets for tomorrow night?

I bottled it in the end. I could only muster up a couple of very weak one-liners. Not worth sending them.

I'll try and be more prepared for next week.