Funny Cow

In the history of world cinema, very few films about comedy have succeeded in being entirely unfunny but "Funny Cow" certainly comes closer than most.

In fairness, however, it's not strictly speaking a film about comedy: it's a film about a woman with nothing who manages to make something of herself via a moderately successful career in stand-up comedy.

Is it a great film? Don't make me laugh!

Is it a good film? No, I wouldn't even go that far. Everybody loves a dramatic "rags to riches" story but this is simply a rather pedestrian "rags to some decent clothes" story so there's nothing to get very excited about in that department. Everything we see and hear in the film we've seen and heard before - and we've seen and heard it done better, and in much better films and TV dramas. The acting is fine and there are some interesting cameo appearances. The fundamental problem, however, is that the script is lacklustre and entirely unoriginal.

Is it worth watching? Yes, particularly if you're a comedy fan.

Is it beautifully photographed? As Churchill the dog might say, "Oooooooh, yes!"

Quote: Rood Eye @ 6th September 2018, 2:07 PM

In the history of world cinema, very few films about comedy have succeeded in being entirely unfunny but "Funny Cow" certainly comes closer than most.

In fairness, however, it's not strictly speaking a film about comedy: it's a film about a woman with nothing who manages to make something of herself via a moderately successful career in stand-up comedy.

Is it a great film? Don't make me laugh!

Is it a good film? No, I wouldn't even go that far. Everybody loves a dramatic "rags to riches" story but this is simply a rather pedestrian "rags to some decent clothes" story so there's nothing to get very excited about in that department. Everything we see and hear in the film we've seen and heard before - and we've seen and heard it done better, and in much better films and TV dramas. The acting is fine and there are some interesting cameo appearances. The fundamental problem, however, is that the script is lacklustre and entirely unoriginal.

Is it worth watching? Yes, particularly if you're a comedy fan.

Is it beautifully photographed? As Churchill the dog might say, "Oooooooh, yes!"

really nice and stunning movie. even though i am not a fan of funny movie, this was really nice and interesting.