Till Death Us Do Part Page 3

Quote: Aaron @ 2nd September 2018, 1:21 PM

Not one single one of the discs works in your player, you mean? That's definitely not right!

I'll try mine shortly...

Not one!

I blame your BBC!

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 2nd September 2018, 2:20 PM

Not one!

I blame your BBC!

I did warn you:

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 27th September 2017, 8:19 AM

But read, particularly, the one-star reviews before you consider buying.

I've tried all 8 discs in my set this afternoon and they play without problem in my LG standalone player. I guess that doesn't help much though...

I'll ask Network about it tomorrow.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 27th September 2017, 8:19 AM

But read, particularly, the one-star reviews before you consider buying.

I can't find any of these that are actually truly relevant to the set. It's all people who've bought hooky copies before this box set's release date and had the reviews erroneously linked up to this title; people who've bought previous single-series releases, again erroneously linked up to this box set; and a few idiots who haven't taken the time to read about the episodes, complaining about the picture and/or sound quality.

Quote: Aaron @ 6th September 2018, 1:41 PM

I can't find any of these that are actually truly relevant to the set. It's all people who've bought hooky copies before this box set's release date and had the reviews erroneously linked up to this title; people who've bought previous single-series releases, again erroneously linked up to this box set; and a few idiots who haven't taken the time to read about the episodes, complaining about the picture and/or sound quality.

Hey! Idiot is harsh!

My boxset purchased was the genuine one btw.

Also, my problem was the fact it won't play on the DVD player.

Love it. It's excellent, some of the episodes are brilliant, hard to choose a standout as a lot were great. Just a superb show to watch.

I prefer the later series - even, I'm afraid, without the silly old moo. It becomes somewhat less adversarial and more funny.

Does anybody know the reason why Warren Mitchell and Anthony Booth allegedly didn't get on?

The rumour I heard years and years back, was it was in-part, because Warren was quite the professional and he didn't take kindly to Anthony's lack of professionalism and often unprepared in rehearsals. I believe the cast didn't like Warren much at all.

Is this true? I know Warren Mitchell's appearance on 'This is Your Life' was not attended by Anthony, Dandy or Una.

Cheers

Yes, they had very different approaches both to acting and life in general. Mitchell was meticulous whilst Booth was laid-back; the former also didn't approve of much of the latter's permissive lifestyle. Essentially each were closer to their characters' temperament in that regard than I suspect they'd have liked to admit.

Additionally though, Booth's ego had been harmed by the development of the show. The pilot was really about Mike, and he'd received star billing. As it progressed into series, however, and then each series beyond, both Alf and Else overtook him in importance. Booth was left will lesser billing, fewer lines, lesser importance, and lower wages.

"The pilot was really about Mike, and he'd received star billing"

Well that's a surprise,I barely remember him at all.I'm surprised he stuck around for so long.
Warren was an excellent actor.He did some Pinter on stage apparently,I would have loved to have seen those.

This blew my mind a bit (taken from Wiki):

Till Death Us Do Part
22 July 1965
The only way that Mike can take out a deposit on a new home is to take out a life insurance policy on Alf.
Aired as an episode of Comedy Playhouse. Only an excerpt is known to exist. Gretchen Franklin plays Else. (AKA Ethel from Eastenders)

Where the hell can I watch this excerpt? Is Wiki out of date and there is infact a full episode to watch/listen to?

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SmJA02NaiI

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 23rd August 2022, 10:51 AM

This blew my mind a bit (taken from Wiki):

Till Death Us Do Part
22 July 1965
The only way that Mike can take out a deposit on a new home is to take out a life insurance policy on Alf.
Aired as an episode of Comedy Playhouse. Only an excerpt is known to exist. Gretchen Franklin plays Else. (AKA Ethel from Eastenders)

Where the hell can I watch this excerpt? Is Wiki out of date and there is infact a full episode to watch/listen to?

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SmJA02NaiI

Proper info: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/till_death_us_do_part/episodes/0/1/

It is indeed still missing. (And thanks, I'd never seen the clip before myself.)

I wonder why Gretchen Franklin was not recalled to the role of Else? Dandy was great, but just curious I guess.

Quote: Aaron @ 23rd August 2022, 10:53 AM

Proper info: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/till_death_us_do_part/episodes/0/1/

It is indeed still missing. (And thanks, I'd never seen the clip before myself.)

Cheers for directing me to this.

Just another painful example of the BBC's inept processes of stocking film pre 1970.

Where can I find the Johnny Speight interview from circa 1990? I remember watching an airing of this back in the 1990s, but I can't find it on YouTube.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 23rd August 2022, 10:53 AM

I wonder why Gretchen Franklin was not recalled to the role of Else? Dandy was great, but just curious I guess.

Gretchen was asked but had to turn it down due to clashing West End stage commitments (Spring And Port Wine). She was friends with Dandy and recommended her for the role in her place.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 23rd August 2022, 10:53 AM

Where can I find the Johnny Speight interview from circa 1990? I remember watching an airing of this back in the 1990s, but I can't find it on YouTube.

Johnny gave a lot of interviews! Any idea what this one was? What programme it may have been part of? Etc.

If you're interested in learning about the series in-depth, I highly recommend Mark Ward's excellent biography A Family At War. It's currently out of print but you should be able to find second-hand copies via our links.

Quote: Aaron @ 23rd August 2022, 11:04 AM

Gretchen was asked but had to turn it down due to clashing West End stage commitments (Spring And Port Wine). She was friends with Dandy and recommended her for the role in her place.

Johnny gave a lot of interviews! Any idea what this one was? What programme it may have been part of? Etc.

If you're interested in learning about the series in-depth, I highly recommend Mark Ward's excellent biography A Family At War. It's currently out of print but you should be able to find second-hand copies via our links.

Thank you for the background to why Dandy was given the role - very interesting.

And yes - I did see that book on Amazon. I will purchase this for my next read. Cheers!

Forgot to address the Speight interview - I can't remember much of it, but I THINK Warren M was with him in the interview. But maybe he was more than once.

I think it might have been this doc - later than I thought, but 1997. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0341861/?ref_=nm_flmg_slf_3 It has to be this one as I am sure it was TDUDP specific - based on the 'self' appearances on IMDB.

Still can't find this doc though!