Man About The House Page 7

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 4th November 2016, 3:02 PM

I bought the boxset a few weeks ago and have watched them all now. I think it's excellent...I was fearing the worst after reading the comments in this thread. Why is it so unpopular on the BCG? It's no Fawlty Towers but I like it.

I like it a lot but George and Mildred is better and it is very underrated.

Ok, I'll concede that the word was around but not generally used. More of an American word before they infested us with all the rest.
Probably why Mrs Slocombe could say it so often.

I am currently firing through all the episodes on demand and have hit Series 4. There was obviously an increase in the budget as there are outside broadcasts and additional interior sets such as a police station and courtroom. I love it more than I remembered.

I am now on the last series (series 6) and there seem to be an obvious dip in the quality of the writing with quite weak story lines (or rather story line singular as opposed to the really well intertwined subplots of the previous series). Saying that I am still enjoying them nad will be sad when I get to the last one.

They have been repeating this on ITV3 over the past few weeks & have now reached the final episodes of series 6. I noticed that, in episodes 5,6 & 7 of series 6, the actor Norman Eshley played Robin's brother Norman. He had previously played Chrissy's married boyfriend in series 2. And then he went on to play Jeffrey Fourmile, the next door neighbour, in George & Mildred. Obviously a dearth of actors at that time!

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 24th November 2016, 6:25 PM

I noticed that, in episodes 5,6 & 7 of series 6, the actor Norman Eshley played Robin's brother Norman. He had previously played Chrissy's married boyfriend in series 2. And then he went on to play Jeffrey Fourmile, the next door neighbour, in George & Mildred.

That always jarred with me! I met him recently, should have asked why, and if people noticed at the time.

This was ok but my favourite characters were the Ropers. It improved the show no end when they got a greater part in it.

Man About the House is one of the very first sitcoms I can recall watching. Back in the late 90s/early 2000s, the digital channel Granada Plus (long since defunct, sadly) was a beacon of pleasure and my dad would make endless VCR recordings of the showings of George and Mildred, Robin's Nest, Bless This House, On The Buses... you name it. He had grown up watching them all and was over the moon by being able to commit them to tape, and many an evening was spent by him, my brother and I delighting in the humour of them together.

Quote: Barry Cross @ 7th February 2017, 12:07 AM

This was ok but my favourite characters were the Ropers. It improved the show no end when they got a greater part in it.

Totally agree. The Ropers for me had an amazing chemistry together and this proved when George and Mildred came along.

Just rewatched the series and I love it. I was a Paula Wilcox fan myself tbh. I loved the characters and I love the whole plots. The Ropers was fantastic, glad to see they got their own sitcom out of it! A great ending to the series as well! Although in Robin's Nest, there's never mention of him in this, I've noticed strange. I need to watch the movie now.

Sorry? Never a mention of who in Robin's Nest?

Quote: Chappers @ 7th August 2020, 10:14 PM

Sorry? Never a mention of who in Robin's Nest?

I mean there isn't a reference of what Robin did before in Robin Nest, no mention about any of him in Man About The House unlike George and Mildred, as George and Mildred was still in the flat from MATH in episode 1. No introduction to the series and no explanation on how he went from sharing a flat with 2 girls to meeting a girl and moving in with her above a Chinese takeaway.

Oh I see. I suppose really apart from his name being Robin there was no other connection between the 2 series.

Quote: Chappers @ 9th August 2020, 5:20 PM

Oh I see. I suppose really apart from his name being Robin there was no other connection between the 2 series.

Not only was his name Robin but he was actually the same character, Robin Tripp. In Man About the House he was a cookery student and now he was on the next rung of the ladder - opening his own restaurant with Tony Blackburn's wife.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 9th August 2020, 8:46 PM

Not only was his name Robin but he was actually the same character, Robin Tripp. In Man About the House he was a cookery student and now he was on the next rung of the ladder - opening his own restaurant with Tony Blackburn's wife.

I think there should have been more backstory on how he went from living in a flat with 2 girls to meeting a girl whose dad was a rich businessman and moving in a flat above a Chinese takeaway.

At least in George & Mildred it gave us a backline on why they moved from the home in MATH to the new house.