Status report Page 6,017

I was in Disney in Florida last week and went to the hall of presidents which is a video and animatronic experience detailing the presidents of America. Being Disney it was very well done with a full size animatronic of every president. Each president is called by name and then moves to acknowledge or speaks etc.. It was quite interesting that George Washington got a clap, then silence up until JFK who got a small clap. Big whoops and cheers for Reagan, some for George Bush Junior. Obama got a big Cheer, but not as big as the cheer and clap
For Trump.

Dabutt was there? :O

Quote: Will Cam @ 13th August 2018, 11:12 AM

but not as big as the cheer and clap For Trump.

Love him or loathe him, Trump is widely perceived as an American hero determined to defeat bad guys all over the world who are making life hard for good guys in America.

If he succeeds, he'll be hailed by many as the greatest president in American history.

Even if he fails, he'll have gone down fighting in the style of John Wayne and Errol Flynn, and Americans will love him for that.

I'm not surprised he's so popular in Disney World.

Quote: zooo @ 13th August 2018, 12:06 PM

Laughing out loud

Quote: Firkin @ 9th August 2018, 8:38 PM

Unless its a long drive, then they're filled with urine.

The beach was 320 miles away, but no bottles were filled with urine. :)

Quote: Firkin @ 9th August 2018, 8:38 PM

Out of interest Da Butt, we've had the hottest day (or close too) on record in Europe and people are understandably talking about climate control and Trump ducking out of that. How does that play back home ? Are people behind Trump on that ? I appreciate the Bushes were heavily invested in oil, but did America see it that way ?

I'd say the average American is like the average European: they think that we should do our best to take care of the planet and reduce pollution. Bringing Bush or Trump into the equation is nothing but politics and has nothing to do with the problem.

There's so much misinformation (politically motivated, of course) that people can be forgiven for not really understanding the issue. For instance, did you know that the United States had the world's largest decline in CO2 emissions last year? Or that China and India had huge increases? How many people realize that China's CO2 emissions are more than twice those of the United States?

It's all a money/power grab. When accords and treaties allow certain nations to continue to emit massive amounts of pollutants while penalizing other nations, then it's all a sham. And when one of those nations (China) is a major military foe bent on dominating the world, then it would be suicidal to allow them to have such a huge advantage.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 12th August 2018, 5:55 PM

I have no problem with facts that state there is global warming.
That's provable and accepted.
But man's fault? That is not yet provable.
You have only to look back at records and see it's been warmer, wetter and colder.
I'm all for lowering carbon emissions or any toxic emissions and having cleaner air to breath
But for 4 1/2 billion years the planet has looked after itself - I don't think 100 years of man spewing carbon out has much effect

Yep.

We've just gone through a very inactive solar cycle and scientists are starting to think that we might be entering an extended minimum. In the past, such minimums have caused extensive periods of cooling. All of the energy on this planet derives from the Sun, so I'm much more concerned about its effect on the planet than I am on human activity.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 12th August 2018, 9:21 PM

The global warming charts on the wiki page show the dramatic increase over the last few hundred years which show it's being caused by the activities of mankind as our population has exploded.

Correlation does not necessarily imply causation. Go back a few million years and you'll see that we've had numerous periods of unusually hot and cold weather.

Quote: zooo @ 13th August 2018, 12:06 PM

Have I ever cheered for Trump? I don't even like the guy. That said, I'm glad that he was elected instead of Hillary Clinton. I'd vote that way again in a heartbeat.

We know, we know. There's literally nothing he could do to make you say y'know what guys, I made a mistake and I shouldn't have voted for him.

Even if the global warming is not man produced, but just a normal Gaia fluctuation, there is absolutely no guarantee that human civilization will survive a prolonged hot period.

The planet will survive and eventually cool down again (unless it gets as 'bad' as Venus) perhaps after millions of years and life will evolve again from whatever beasties manage to survive, but the end result will not be human.

~~~~

Venus has heat retaining gases in its atmosphere and I understand that the surface temperature is hot enough to melt lead.

And the foxes will take over! YAY!

Quote: zooo @ 13th August 2018, 11:36 PM

We know, we know. There's literally nothing he could do to make you say y'know what guys, I made a mistake and I shouldn't have voted for him.

Incorrect. There are many things he could do which might get me to say that, but he hasn't done anything of that magnitude yet. Not even close. In the meantime, our economy is growing, unemployment rates are at record lows, and Trump's approval rating by African Americans continues to climb. Such terrible times...

I'm particularly enjoying the president's battle with the press. It's deliciously ironic that they've been bristling at his suggestion that they're feigning independence while waging a coordinated attack against him, so this week hundreds of newspapers across the nation will run anti-Trump editorials on Thursday in a coordinated attack against him.

Do you know what I really like about Donald Trump?

He's not Hillary Clinton.

Quote: DaButt @ 14th August 2018, 12:59 PM

Incorrect. There are many things he could do which might get me to say that

Like what?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 14th August 2018, 1:31 PM

Do you know what I really like about Donald Trump?

He's not Hillary Clinton.

I agree 100%. That was the exact thought running through my head when I was in the voting booth.

Quote: zooo @ 14th August 2018, 2:24 PM

Like what?

Eating babies, nuking Australia, punching my mom in the face. Stuff like that.

My earlier response seems to have vanished.

Quote: Briosaid @ 14th August 2018, 12:20 AM

And the foxes will take over! YAY!

Not a chance, the Mammals will die off early, the descendants of ants and cockroaches will take over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS: there was a fox in my garden today, s/he glared at me through the window then slunk off under my summer house. I do hope they are not undermining the foundations of the summer house by digging a lair under there.

Quote: DaButt @ 14th August 2018, 12:59 PM

this week hundreds of newspapers across the nation will run anti-Trump editorials on Thursday in a coordinated attack against him.

Dreams can come true in America ! We need more good news like this Da Butt. Maybe a Sarah Palin sex tape ?

Quote: DaButt @ 14th August 2018, 5:10 PM

Eating babies, nuking Australia, punching my mom in the face. Stuff like that.

Or raping underage girls and using the 'n' word.