Who are the most genuinely talented comedians? Page 2

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 8th August 2017, 8:49 AM

And how could I forget Eddie Large? His political insights and impersonations were always spot-on. Check out 3.37 - 3.58 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNys08sBIzs - close your eyes and it's like she's in the room with you. How does he do it? What's his secret? I guess we'll never know.

Bloody legend! Cliff, Deputy Dawg, Jagger,Crawford. A knighthood is way overdue........

Quote: paulted @ 8th August 2017, 5:56 PM

Bloody legend! Cliff, Deputy Dawg, Jagger,Crawford. A knighthood is way overdue........

Used to think was funny and clever was his "star's cars starting up". He was on ITV breakfast this morning talking about his heart transplant - bloody hell.

They did one of my sketches back in the 90s (?) - not a lot of people know that. £80 for one minute and 9 months later I got a surprise £30 repeat fee, which I wasn't expecting. :)

Quote: paulted @ 4th August 2017, 9:42 PM

Dave Allen. Years ahead of his time. Cool, funny, and perfect comic timing.

Off topic! He was a sit-down comedian!

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 7th August 2017, 6:45 AM

Russell Brand is all bluster and no laughs.
As I see it, Eddie Izzard is improvised in the sense that he has an overall map but can take off at tangents depending on the night. He's probably the only one you can see twice on the same tour and still etc. I saw him at Cambridge years ago and at one point he said he was bored of the same material 'so could someone give me a new subject?' He took it for about 10 minutes and was very funny.

I also saw him do a show on TV (!!!) in fluent French which is quite an achievement.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 7th August 2017, 6:45 AM

As I see it, Eddie Izzard is improvised in the sense that he has an overall map but can take off at tangents depending on the night. He's probably the only one you can see twice on the same tour and still etc. I saw him at Cambridge years ago and at one point he said he was bored of the same material 'so could someone give me a new subject?' He took it for about 10 minutes and was very funny.

Woud second that. Think that's also true of Ross Noble, he can just run with a tangent until the audience are dying in their seats. For straight up wit, I think Lee Mack is hard to beat.

Also, it's maybe a different kind of talent than what we've been talking about, but Paul Whitehouse is a brilliant, brilliant comic actor.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 8th August 2017, 8:49 AM

And how could I forget Eddie Large? His political insights and impersonations were always spot-on. Check out 3.37 - 3.58 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNys08sBIzs - close your eyes and it's like she's in the room with you. How does he do it? What's his secret? I guess we'll never know.

Ha ha classic. Best Cliff impression ever.

Ken Dodd.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 4th August 2017, 8:07 PM

Jimmy Tarbuck, natural ad libber. Ken Dodd also. In fact pretty much any scouse comic.

John Bishop is not funny! I think he comes across a decent and nice bloke, but not my cup of tea.

Like the original poster of this thread says, when I think of a naturally funny and witty comedian, who can ad-lib/be funny on the spot and be fortunate to perhaps look funny/sound funny and naturally deliver their speech in a humorous way day-to-day, I think of the likes of Russel Brand, David Mitchell and once upon-a-time, Ricky Gervais (Hollywood Ricky is not funny these days).

My favourite up and coming comedians and I still put him in the 'up and coming' bracket, would be Romesh Ranganathan. He's still a newbie on the comedy circuit. He has the luxury of having a lazy eye, looking pissed off and having a natural sardonic tone in his voice. Very funny man.

I agree Tommy. His laid back. easily put off his stride personna is very funny.

Barry Humphries. None better. There's a YouTube clip of Robin Williams clowning on one of Dame Edna's shows but his shtick just looks flat alongside Humphries.

Yeah, quick witted doesn't always equate to talented comic. Look at Stewart Lee, traditionally does badly on panel shows where the quick gag reigns supreme, but in the writing and structuring of his stand up he is unequalled. Anyway my vote goes to Paul Merton, even his fellow comics admire his technique and his sketch writing was hilarious too

I wish I had seen Lee Evans when he was in his stand up prime in the late 90s. I watch the DVDs and they can reduce me to tears and struggling to breath from laughing so hard. He also gives value for money with his stand up shows and will choreograph it like a theatrical experience with a clever intro, the main stand up routine and a finale such as a grand musical piece. People must leave his shows feeling rejuvinated. My favourite is his Live In Scotland gig and the Bagpipes band at the end. He always gives it 100% and you only have to look at all that sweat to see that.

No mention of Jimmy Carr? Legend. I still find 5 minutes' stand-up a month freaks me out - Jimmy can bestraddle a stage for two hours, knocking 'em out like Bob Monkhouse on amphetamines. Totally awesome.
He has also sat next to Mel C. I am not jealous.

I think overall, if I'm looking at a true "stand-up" comedian, no-one will ever better Ken Dodd. His timing, delivery were just miles ahead of anyone else.

Now reading through some of the replies, with people talking about improvisation and quick fire / ready wit, I'm going to go out on a limb a bit here and suggest Colin Mochrie / Ryan Stiles as worthy contenders. I have fond memories of Channel 4 on a Friday night with Whose Line Is It Anyway and then onto the US version with Drew Carey. Not technically out and out stand-up comedians, but they would get my vote! :D

It's almost impossible to come up with a universally acceptable definition of "most genuinely talented" but I suppose we have to give consideration to any comedian whose talent has been acclaimed since the very first time he/she ever told a joke into a microphone.

On that basis, I have to suggest . . . Peter Kay.

At the moment Lee Mack and David Mitchell