Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing Page 2

Quote: Rood Eye @ 22nd July 2018, 12:10 PM

Here, Bob and Paul discuss "Gone Fishing" with Lorraine Kelly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jvATcQSTuY

Sorry. I just get distracted by the lovely Miss Kelly.

I've caught that's caught :( the last two eps and thought most of the above. It's undoubtedly a Trip cash in but that's as much down to the TV bods as the egos on the screen. The good news is it's proved to be a worthy cash in and their egos aren't as puke making as Brydon's who tends to want to hog everything he does. And watching egos fish is not as irritating as watching them eat Michelin starred nosh. This looks a much more genuine and deserved show.

These two are more grounded and while the banter is predictable Whitehouse can outdo Brydon & Coogan on most impressions although they are more generic than specific persons. He's also the fisherman and has really brought Bob along for the trip. Likeable prog cos of its stars.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 26th July 2018, 1:58 PM

Having watched all six episodes of this series, I could happily watch another 60, or even 600, and still want more. Both Mortimer and Whitehouse are fellows of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy, with flashes of merriment wont to set the table on a roar but, more than that, they have been revealed by this series as thoroughly likeable (even lovable) individuals.

I suspect that, as a result of this series, their stock (both personal and professional) has risen enormously.

Absolutement.

I've enjoyed every minute of this.
I don't know why but it made me go all warm inside.
I'm not sure Bob wouldn't get on one's tits after a while but I'd be prepared to find out.
I've always thought he was a better comedy performer than Vic, though I wonder what percentage of writing each does.
Paul is a Spurs supporter so he's okay by me.
Oh, and he's extremely funny and seems very intelligent.
Maybe they could do a series where they test their hearts by undertaking some extreme sports e.g. hang gliding, rock climbing etc., though likely Bob might prefer to go down the crochet route, or washing up.

Hope there is a follow up doing whatever.

I too absolutely adored the series. So warm and reassuring, yet also laugh-out-loud funny, interesting and revealing. A delicious mixture.

Has there been any word on whether it'll come out on DVD? I'm not in the UK so can't (in theory) access content on the BBC iPlayer.

There hasn't, no. Not impossible but I wouldn't have thought it overly likely for this one.

No.... Oh well,

Series 2 confirmed. Couldn't be happier!

Really wonderful news. But only 6 episodes, and it's probably another year's wait! Gah! https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/3216/mortimer_whitehouse_gone_fishing/

I'm absolutely delighted it's been recommissioned: clearly, the BBC know a recipe for success when they see one.

800,000 people in the UK are living with heart failure.

2 million people in the UK have chronic angina.

2.6 million people in the UK have coronary heart disease.

3 million people in the UK go fishing.

And almost everybody in the UK likes comedy!

Was recommended I watch this by a few mates and they absolutely plugged it beyond belief.

Sadly, as is the case when somebody bigs-up a series/film, it is never as good as recommended. I did however mostly enjoy it and it's very easy viewing.

I for one actually think their friendship looked ever so slightly strained. I can't put my finger on it. Their banter at times felt a little forced and they were a bit aggy with one another, but in a humourous way, but a subconcious sort of dislike for one another. Paul Whitehouse has never appeared overly friendly and approachable with his personality. It's a shame as he mostly plays really likable and full-of-life colourful characters. Whereas Bob, he seemed quite gentle and vulnrable and I'm used to him laughing and acting stupid on Shooting Stars, taking the piss out of celebrtities.

In a way, I'm glad they didn't use the series to film a biography of their lives as that would come across as quite cheap and almost Hollywood Gervaisesque, however, I would like them to have recalled favourite moments from Shooting Stars/Fast Show & Harry Enfield.

Overall, it was a decent little series. I happened to have little to no interest in fishing. But it didn't spoil my viewing. Quite depressing seeing them talk about their heart disease problems and I suppose it was a good way to express the importance of a calming and healthy lifestyle where possible.

I'm currently watching S1, Ep1 on iPlayer and although the scenery is splendid, it is a bit too forced and agree that Whitehouse comes over as quite irascible. I will, however, watch the next episode and see whether I warm to it a little more.

Series 2 begins tomorrow night.

8 pm on BBC2.

Yawn????
Another licence fee paid jolly and pension top up for those fortunate to be on the BBC gravy train!

Quote: gb901 @ 2nd August 2019, 12:18 PM

Yawn????
Another licence fee paid jolly and pension top up for those fortunate to be on the BBC gravy train!

In this modern day and age, I could write you a long list of essentially talentless bastards who, for one reason or another, are doing very well indeed in showbiz.

I divide these people into two groups: a) those who know they are essentially talentless and are thanking their lucky stars that they are rich, famous little emperors walking about stark naked in a world where everybody is terrified to deny the existence of the beautiful clothes they are obviously not wearing and (b) those who actually believe they have some talent and are in complete denial about the real reasons for their success.

If I ever become absolute dictator of the United Kingdom, I will allow the first group to live.

Having said all that, two people who deserve every single bit of their showbiz success are Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse.

Gone Fishing is an absolute delight.