Status report Page 6,015

Care to explain your issue with Americanisms?

We are British!!!!!!

I've never thought of the word parents as an americanism and don't mind using them anyway. I'm concerned Chappers might be starting to malfunction like when those robots did in Westworld.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 11th July 2018, 12:12 AM

I've never thought of the word parents as an americanism and don't mind using them anyway. I'm concerned Chappers might be starting to malfunction like when those robots did in Westworld.

I think he meant 'folks' used instead of 'parent's.

Quote: Chappers @ 10th July 2018, 10:03 PM

We are British!!!!!!

Well I'm convinced.

Quote: Briosaid @ 11th July 2018, 12:28 AM

I think he meant 'folks' used instead of 'parent's.

If it's obvious to someone from Scotchland then it should be to you Tarby.

Quote: Chappers @ 11th July 2018, 4:07 PM

If it's obvious to someone from Scotchland then it should be to you Tarby.

He obviously hasn't eaten a Buckfsst haggis bake.

Quote: Briosaid @ 11th July 2018, 8:25 PM

He obviously hasn't eaten a Buckfsst haggis bake.

I've not but it sounds very tasty. Anything with bake in the title has to be tasty. I've never eaten haggis but am always open to new foodstuffs.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 11th July 2018, 9:02 PM

I've not but it sounds very tasty. Anything with bake in the title has to be tasty. I've never eaten haggis but am always open to new foodstuffs.

I have to admit it but Haggis is lovely.

Quote: Chappers @ 11th July 2018, 10:41 PM

I have to admit it but Haggis is lovely.

Sorry but ... *spews violently* SickSickSick

With tatties & neeps.

Back at the Palm Beach airport for the return flight home. Looks like I have a 3-hour layover in Atlanta. :(

Run to Senoia!

I was reading the wiki page for Graham Chapman today and this line always makes me smile:

Chapman's death occurred on the eve of the twentieth anniversary of the first broadcast of Flying Circus, and Jones called it "the worst case of party-pooping in all history".

It also mentions how he was lined up to appear on the Red Dwarf III episode 'Time Slides' but died before filming began. I wonder which character it was and if it was filled by someone else or written out. I've not seen the episode for a while but I'm pretty sure one of the mutated photos they view in the lab has someone smoking a pipe. That would definitely be favourite :D

Just finished packing for this morning's unexpected trip to the beach at South Padre Island. Two of my neighbors and their families rented a beach house for 4 days and yesterday they told me that I would be going with them. I grew up in Florida so I've had enough of beaches and sunshine, but there will be plenty of beer and good food, so I'm in.

We'll pass within 3 or 4 miles of Mexico, but after reading this passage from the government's safety report I think I'll give it a wide berth:

Matamoros is located along the U.S.-Mexico border, sharing multiple international bridges with Brownsville, Texas, and is situated 50 miles from the Reynosa-McAllen border area. There are frequent gunfights throughout the consular district (including Mante, Ciudad Victoria, San Fernando, Valle Hermoso, Rio Bravo, Reynosa, Miguel Alemán). The random nature of violence, combined with one of the highest kidnapping rates Mexico, exposes everyone to a high risk of being subject to dangerous situations.

Crime Threats

There are no safe areas in Matamoros due to gunfights, grenade attacks, and kidnappings. Crime and violence related to the activities of Transnational Criminal Organizations (TCOs) are continuing concerns that directly affect the safety and security of U.S. government personnel. U.S. citizens remain under constant threat of abduction, robbery, or violent crime. The situation in northeast Mexico remains volatile; the location and timing of future armed engagements cannot be predicted.

The primary security threat stems from the TCOs and the on-going turf war between rival factions of the Gulf Cartel and Los Zetas. Drug-related violence grew in 2017 in the Matamoros-Rio Bravo-Reynosa corridor. RSO statistics indicate an increase in the number of local nationals killed as a result of drug-related violence largely due to the chronic volatility around Reynosa. The true number of drug-related deaths, however, is difficult to obtain due to underreporting. Gun battles may occur at any time, as rival TCO gunmen engage in hit-and-run attacks and as military and federal police encounter TCO gunmen while on patrol. In 2017, firefights took place throughout the state, particularly in the border land around the Reynosa-Rio Bravo area. These gun battles have occurred in broad daylight, on public streets, and at other public venues. Additionally, the consular district has been the scene of many violent, uncontrolled incidents during which innocent bystanders have been injured or killed.

https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=23849