The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 687

Croatia will be a difficult team to beat. If you see the way Luka Modric totally ran the midfield. He's a holding midfielder who can spread the play but remains an attacking threat in his own right at all times. Southgate can't put the same team out against him.

England did alright against a team of statues. But any team whose fans include hundreds of stunning blonde birds are always good to watch because the camera spent more time on them than their players. Quite rightly.

Russia team head off to Siberia. Shame, thought they were good value throughout and if any of them had practised penalties they'd be in the semis. Croats should be cut to pieces by England, they have some talented players but they lack pace, are cynical and can be as dirty as most South American teams. And after two penalty shoot outs in a row they will be tired whatever they say. Just hope our best players are still walking at the end. Should be an interesting Brexit Final.

RIP
Alan Gilzean.
Partnered Greavesy at Spurs.One of the Scottish greats.
Those were the days when the foreigners in the English league were mostly Scots.

Pleased that we don't have to knock out the hosts.

On a different matter I went to a pre-season friendly at Sutton United where we were told we can't lean on the crash barriers along side the pitch. We have to stand 10 feet away although obviously spectators can walk along this area.

I'm tempted to just walk up and down along this area throughout the match.

Quote: Bill Poster @ 8th July 2018, 9:16 PM

RIP
Alan Gilzean.
Partnered Greavesy at Spurs.One of the Scottish greats.
Those were the days when the foreigners in the English league were mostly Scots.

R.I.P. indeed. Many a Saturday afternoon/Wednesday evening spent on the White Hart Lane terraces watching those graceful flicks off his balding pate. "Gilzean, Gilzean, Gilzean, Gilzean,. Born is the king of White Hart Lane" we used to sing to the tune of the chorus of "The First Noel".

The 2010 book "In Search of Alan Gilzean" by James Morgan makes for an interesting read.

Amazing song. Who rewrote them?

Quote: Chappers @ 9th July 2018, 7:19 PM

Amazing song. Who rewrote them?

Probably Chas & Dave :)

Quote: Will Cam @ 7th July 2018, 11:44 PM

Croatia will be a difficult team to beat. If you see the way Luka Modric totally ran the midfield. He's a holding midfielder who can spread the play but remains an attacking threat in his own right at all times. Southgate can't put the same team out against him.

Whillikers First, let's not forget that it's a game of two halves and at the end of the day, it's the team with the most balls at the back of the net that wins the match. Records?

Well I'm going to France for a week or so next Tuesday. Not sure it will be much fun if we get to the final either way.

It's been too prematurely built up... I hope everyone isn't heading for a fall - like these things tend to do.
Today, even the overhead electronic motorway signs were saying.
COME ON ENGLAND
IT'S COMING HOME

Getting nervous.....

What exactly is "coming home" anyway?

In 1996, when the song was first brought out, it was a case of "football's coming home", ie the country that first established organised competitive football was hosting the Euros.

But what's coming home now? Not the trophy or ownership of the tournament itself because England neither inaugurated the tournament nor held the first one. Indeed we didn't even enter. The trophy was named after a Frenchman. After 36 years, England held it for 4 years but can hardly lay claim to its ownership and, in any case, it's a different one now.

So what is coming home? I think we should be told...

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 11th July 2018, 5:25 PM

What exactly is "coming home" anyway?

In 1996, when the song was first brought out, it was a case of "football's coming home", ie the country that first established organised competitive football was hosting the Euros.

But what's coming home now? Not the trophy or ownership of the tournament itself because England neither inaugurated the tournament nor held the first one. Indeed we didn't even enter. The trophy was named after a Frenchman. After 36 years, England held it for 4 years but can hardly lay claim to its ownership and, in any case, it's a different one now.

So what is coming home? I think we should be told...

The team.

GORDON BENNETT!!!

BALLS!!!