Status report Page 6,014

A false widow has taken up residence on the inside of my kitchen window. It can't get any further as there is a fly net but I don't know if I should catch it to throw outside or make it quick and hoover it up. It's definitely a false widow and I know it's not fair to kill something just because it's venemous but is it right to release it back outside?

Can they use their fangs or venom to get through a fly net? It's not very strong material so not sure I can bear leaving it and going to bed tonight and risk waking up tomorrow to find the spider gone and a hole in the net. It's made it's self at home in a small hole in the window frame though. A hole that up until yesterday a much smaller spider had been living in for a few weeks and I didn't mind. What a way to go.

What's a 'false widow?

Quote: Briosaid @ 6th July 2018, 9:09 PM

What's a 'false widow?

A spider which I've just read more about and am definitely not going to kill it after reading it's venomous but the venom isn't dangerous and the media hypes it up. Sounds about right. I could also be mistaken as there are similar looking spiders such as the orb weaver but I'm pretty sure it's a false widow. I've added another layer of plastic based mesh to the window with gaffer tape so am now more comfortable seeing as a viewing area and letting it co-exist. At least for a while.

Note: I have not added any pictures of spiders because I know that can annoy people. It blimming well annoys me when people post it on facebook and I jump out my skin while scrolling but when I research them such as Wikipedia I realise what interesting creatures they are.

John Darwins wife Ann is a classic example of a false widow

Quote: Ben @ 4th July 2018, 8:34 PM

What will you go back to writing, Lee? Comedy?

Much like you, I had a stab at writing comedy in my 20s (although I was more mid to late 20s) and eventually realised I wasn't good enough. A hard pill to swallow, but at least I had a go and found out.

Not too sure, Ben. Considering a few different projects but as you may appreciate, spare time is precious these days. Didn't realise you had quit writing, still keeping the curious blog up though?

Yes, Lee, I'm still doing my blog. That's purely for fun. I do a few freelance writing jobs (on any subject) but my days of writing comedy died a long time ago.

Quote: Ben @ 7th July 2018, 11:23 AM

Yes, Lee, I'm still doing my blog. That's purely for fun. I do a few freelance writing jobs (on any subject) but my days of writing comedy died a long time ago.

That's what parenthood does for you - you lose all sense of humour.
:D

Quote: Briosaid @ 7th July 2018, 4:32 PM

That's what parenthood does for you - you lose all sense of humour.
:D

I presume you have about 10 bairns - or is it wee'uns?

Quote: Chappers @ 8th July 2018, 9:08 PM

I presume you have about 10 bairns - or is it wee'uns?

Just the 2 who're ancient now, but by god, the older one made us suffer (the younger one too, but not his fault, bloody awful potentialy fatal illnesses). But we still live them both dearly.

At the airport much too early in the morning. Off to visit my parents in Florida. My brother and his family will also be there, so it'll be a fun trip.

Landed in Atlanta. Time for a breakfast burrito and a breakfast beer before heading to West Palm Beach.

Have a good trip DaButt. If England win on Wednesday I'll go to the folks for the final which would be an event I never thought I would experience.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 9th July 2018, 9:34 PM

Have a good trip DaButt. If England win on Wednesday I'll go to the folks for the final which would be an event I never thought I would experience.

Is that the folks who live on the hill?

Quote: Chappers @ 9th July 2018, 10:22 PM

Is that the folks who live on the hill?

No.

Which folks then? Don't say your parents because that's another Americanism I F****** HATE!