Quite Quiet

Since my return I have noticed how quiet this page has gone and that not many people post stuff anymore. I see this as a malaise rather than a death and I for one would happily like to see and hear from others out there interested in kicking this site back into life.
So any ideas?

Build a time machine - and go back in time and uninvent twitter and Facebook

The 'forum' is dead

On a separate issue all together - f**k me, its hot tonight ....!

Lofty I work on FB so I am more aware than most of effects . But in relation to this site it has a speciality and is bespoke so its not so much the numbers, its the content and the knowledge of the posters.
The other formats are great for superficial assessments ,Vox Pop's and Tit bits, but this site has an almost Train Spotting anal retentive need for detail and a vast memory bank. You try finding someone of FB ready to cite Max Miller word for word or someone who knows the name of every extra on Reggie Perrin .
One thing you can say about this site is that many of its readers may never ever speak up or even let you know that they're there , until you make a factual error on something so obscure that only people like us would enjoy or be mortified by it. So it's depth over volume for me. For instance I am convinced that some out there knows how old Aunt Baby would be if she was alive today .

Quote: lofthouse @ 25th June 2018, 8:09 PM

Build a time machine - and go back in time and uninvent twitter and Facebook

The 'forum' is dead

There are a few forums I used to visit a lot in 2006 that were always busy but now they are like graveyards. Even when BCG is quiet there are people still there to respond to you but those places were deserted.

I agree and in the words of Frankie Wilde it's f**king hot innit! Today was not a good day for jogging with no breeze and blazing sun so gave up after an hour. My desk fan wasn't working great so I've opened it up and cleaned a layer of dust from the blades and it's now much better.

Quote: lofthouse @ 25th June 2018, 8:09 PM

It's 97F/36C here at 3:30 in the afternoon and I'm procrastinating over the lawn mowing that desperately needs to take place. An hour in the blazing sun is such miserable work.

36c ......shit

What are you a f**king lizard ?

Quote: lofthouse @ 25th June 2018, 9:48 PM

36c ......shit

What are you a f**king lizard ?

It's been that hot (or hotter) every day for the last 2 months. We have another 3 or 4 months of it to look forward to. Thank God for air conditioners.

It was 102F/39C Saturday while I brewed beer in my garage. Seven hours of sweating, made even worse because a large propane burner was fired up to boil the beer for 2 hours. Brutal.

Quote: DaButt @ 25th June 2018, 9:56 PM

It's been that hot (or hotter) every day for the last 2 months. We have another 3 or 4 months of it to look forward to. Thank God for air conditioners.

It was 102F/39C Saturday while I brewed beer in my garage. Seven hours of sweating, made even worse because a large propane burner was fired up to boil the beer for 2 hours. Brutal.

Is the boiling process to kill bacteria or for a fermenting purpose?

The forecast is there could be two weeks of this weather so I'm going to buy another fan tomorrow. Can't stretch to an air con unit but if my fan broke and I didn't have a spare it would be a very hot, sleepless night. Only time I'm glad to be at work where it's cool and has a nice shower room.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 25th June 2018, 10:05 PM

Is the boiling process to kill bacteria or for a fermenting purpose?

It does help to sanitize things, but mainly it extracts bitterness, flavors and aromas from the hops. There are also a lot of proteins that coagulate and drop out as it is cooled, and it drives off some unwanted compounds.

My thermostats (upstairs and downstairs) are set for 74F/23C and I'm comfortable. How hot is it in your place?

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 25th June 2018, 3:54 PM

Since my return I have noticed how quiet this page has gone and that not many people post stuff anymore. I see this as a malaise rather than a death and I for one would happily like to see and hear from others out there interested in kicking this site back into life.
So any ideas?

The interesting people of this forum's glory days are busier on Facebook now, as these boards were becoming a morass of stale, uninspired tedium. Where every opinion, no matter how dull or egocentrically expressed, had to be posted. Also a couple of posters have died.

You could search Facebook and attempt to encourage the clever people to return. But just as a recovered alcoholic winces with shuddering disdain as he passes by his former boozer once a year, so too will it be difficult to entice the smart ones to return here. It might happen though. Meanwhile, for entertainment that's not too heavy on self-congratulatory smug, there is the Cookd and Bombd forums.

Kenneth I understand that things change and people move on, thats fine as even Disney understand the circle of life.
What I am advocating is a 'Niche' a place where experience is the key. At the moment on this site there are people on various posts discussing things in depth and with knowledge , you don't get that on Facebook its much more facile .
What is also missing is the 'Creative Aspect' as you well know there is a section called Critique its for people to show what they have created and it is dead in the water. It feels as though the posters have stopped creating just for the sheer fun and exercise of seeing if they can make people laugh ?
To be fair there are some having a go ,take Otterfox for instance. All my life I have come across people who like to think and state often that they're 'Mad & Wacky' and they never are, but he is and he is still as refreshing as the last time I was on here. So its got stuff going for it, it just needs a kick in the arse .

You personally are on a roll, Teddy!

Thanks Beaky , but I sense I am not the one to rally the troops as I am not exactly a unifying figure in these parts. But its needs doing as this site could be a credible resource as well as a community that just enjoys general chat like the other ten billion sites.
Never mind as least I spoke up for myself , I shall now retire to the critique section from whence I came and just put up the odd whimsy that comes to me.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 25th June 2018, 3:54 PM

So any ideas?

On my occasional and now rare foray into once welcoming territory, I noticed this thread.

I'll tell you why I f**ked off (went and became Laughing out loud ) back in March.......................one reason, over two threads. Bill Poster did post on the Will Hay thread just before I "walked away" that this is the way of forums these days - well that maybe so Bill thank you, but it doesn't make it right of course. Common courtesy costs nothing. Something we seem (well not me!) to lack these days.

Take my Punch Cartoon thread. THREE YEARS I posted to that daily with what must have been OVER A THOUSAND cartoon scans, and when it finally ran out after I'd got to the end of Volume XX, what appreciation did I get? Two people posted thanks - TWO PEOPLE out of all those over the three years who said they were thoroughly enjoying reading them. Two f**king people...........................I think I will still be muttering that when they nail my lid down.

And so, coming back to the Will Hay thread - I posted a lengthy article on Will Hay, which I had spent considerable time on with loads of researched links I had referenced from his biography I was reading at the time, and again two people bothered to post a gratitude, and this, on a site that is supposed to have a few Will Hay fans.

"You try finding someone of ready FB to cite Max Miller word for word.................................." Well, I think I can as I regularly listen to my CDs and tapes of the great man, and since Oldrocker's demise I suppose I might have taken his mantle of MM aficionado and being knowledgeable of early UK comedy, especially as I appear(ed) to be/was the most ancient on here and having been a mad devotee on comedy for longer than I care to remember, I suppose I might fit your bill Teddy, but I'll be f**ked if I am going to spend my time passing on knowledge if it is not appreciated. I am always reading up on comedy and watching it - for example, and I only mention it because of the coincidence, I have just started reading Sheila Steafel's biog. and last night's episode of Sykes "Holiday in Bogsea" I watched, had her in it!!

Yes, Bill P, there is a malaise of thanking people on 'tinternet such as the arseholes who won't, no matter what, reciprocate with good feedback on eBay (**) or thank you on advice forums - they only have to tick a little box for f**k's sake!! So, I also won't answer questions anymore on Amazon, where someone will have query on something you have bought in the past and need to know such and such, and do they thank you? Do they F. F**k 'em if they can't be arsed to do one little click on their mouse.

(** Many years ago, I had one twat who when I emailed him to find out why he hadn't left me feedback, said he never left it for anyone as he felt it was degrading and beneath him. Fu......NO, words fail me.)

I didn't expect plaudits - just a little appreciation. That wasn't too much to ask was it? If I am wrong, then clearly, I am in the wrong place, which is a pity as I had other things in the pipeline I was working on at the time, after the Punch and/or Will Hay article.

So, in conclusion to a rant I didn't mean to go on so long, "Carry on London!" as they used to say at the end of In Town Tonight (I'm the only one who will remember that!), 'cos from now on I'll keep my knowledge to myself.

And so, I let my bollards swing free again and set sail into the sunset once more on the good ship Lollipop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5ya_Gq8d4Q

Hercules I never expect replies on my stuff, I get some but not many , some people don't realise how important their views are, while others come on only throw vitriol as they are jealous because they themselves do not possess the craft .
Then you have the spineless ones who send people to Coventry as they feel it is their site and as such they openly resent anyone with a modicum of wit or a desire to finally 'Make it' .
So see it for what it is and never stop doing what you do as the industry is similar to this site so it stands you in good stead when dealing with them.
Never give up 'always put stuff up and be who you are is all I can say to you mate , otherwise you become a victim with no clue as to your assailants.