Ripping Yarns Page 2

Quote: Guilbert @ 4th April 2014, 7:50 AM BST

Note there was actually two series of this, the first had 6 episodes

Actually, only 5. Tomkinson's Schooldays was a pilot episode and IIRC not originally broadcast under the Ripping Yarns name.

Quote: Guilbert @ 4th April 2014, 7:50 AM BST

BBC4 are currently repeating the whole series of this.

Excellent. Ta. IMO 2nd best Python spin off of the lot. Golden Gordon I think it's called - ha ha. Claw I remember as the best tho. We'll see if it still is.

Another Palin thing I'd like to see again is East of Ipswich.

Great to see these again on Yesterday I think it is. Yes agree Tomlinson's School Days is a cracker and the boring bank robber ep brilliantly written. Very Python and I believe Jones' response to Cheese getting most of the credit or hogging the limelight for the huge success of Monty Python.

Like Python it's very Milliganesque but also Peter Cookesque, the thirty mile mile hop being a notable bastardisation of/tribute to his most famous sketch.

But it all comes across as original and clever and makes almost every comedy made today seem pretty puny.

I caught up with this for the first time the other day on one of the UKTV channels. Whilst I wouldn't come home especially to watch it, I'd watch it if it was on, as I did. Maybe because it stared Liz Smith and (and I cheated and Googled this*), Anita Carey (or Pat from I Didn't Know You Cared), but that episode was very enjoyable.

* Yes, I cheated. Half the fun is guessing where you've seen an actress previously.