Status report Page 6,009

My work neighbour is figting at an MMA event in Wales tomorrow so sliding down there with some mates for it. About 15 fights of different styles so should be a good night. It can be brutal to watch and they must be bonkers to do it.

Make sure you give him his lawnmower back without breaking it!

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 10th May 2018, 9:40 PM

I'm confused. Errr

When did Sutton give Huddersfield a point?

Yes. I know. Chelsea are my favourite League team and Sutton United my favourite non-league team. I don't know who I'd have supported if they were both in the league.

They didn't actually give us a point... we earned it.
Chelsea needed all 3 and the manager f**ked up.
There are rumours he did it on purpose to leave them out of the European cup as he will be a manager at a club that is in that cup next season.

Quote: Chappers @ 13th May 2018, 10:22 PM

Yes. I know. Chelsea are my favourite League team and Sutton United my favourite non-league team. I don't know who I'd have supported if they were both in the league.

I had the same situation in the 60s/early 70s. My father was born & brought up in Tottenham and was a season ticket holder there. I was born & brought up in Wimbledon. My father took me to Tottenham (my first match in 1964 ended Tottenham 9 Nott'm Fst 2!) At the same time I started going to Wimbledon, my local club, who were then in the Isthmian League and subsequently the Southern League, with my school mates. As you will know they won the Amateur Cup in 1963 beating Sutton 4-2.

I followed & attended both clubs' matches for about 10 years (I sold programmes at Plough Lane from 1967 - 1972) but eventually, for obvious reasons, had to make a choice. I came down in favour of Wimbledon as they were my local club. Many people move away from their football clubs. Not many suffer their football club moving away from them :(

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 14th May 2018, 11:14 PM

I followed & attended both clubs' matches for about 10 years (I sold programmes at Plough Lane from 1967 - 1972) but eventually, for obvious reasons, had to make a choice. I came down in favour of Wimbledon as they were my local club. Many people move away from their football clubs. Not many suffer their football club moving away from them :(

Was it something that you said?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQd7qOEBMo

I just checked my pockets before jumping in the neighbor's pool and found $40. I haven't worn this suit since last year, so I consider it a welcome windfall.

Nice one.
In 1982 i was skint and went through my clothes hoping to find some money.
In a jacket i had only worn once for my sister's wedding i found £60. (A weeks wage)
Then a couple of years ago, I lost my wallet on the golf course.
No one handed it in so I cancelled my cards and waved bye bye to the £100 that was in it.
A year later, I bought a new golf bag and shook the old one upside down to get all the crap out of it.
Yep, my old wallet fell out.

I found some old travellers cheques tucked in an old passport some time ago
The Post Office cashed them without comment .. £60 hoorah.

So, I did an all commission job selling life insurance to old people for a couple of months, and didn't make any money, and then my grandma died quite suddenly of cancer, and then all of a sudden as of yesterday I have a higher paying hourly job than I've ever had at a reputable company doing 40 hours a week with normal people for coworkers (no sociopaths or anything. I really liked the sociopath manager at the all commission dealy, but...yeah. I like sociopaths more than a person should. ...anyway!), and I also had some money come through from my grandma's estate which I wasn't expecting at all and allowed me to pre-pay 3 months worth of student loans and also buy plane tickets to go back to the Fringe this year. Also I kind of have a welsh boyfriend who says he'd marry me to get me into the country. He'll be at the fringe with me. Don't blow it, Davida! This could be your ticket in! I'm joking...I mean, sort of joking. Marrying into the UK is only plan C of my plots to enter your country permanently. A and B aren't going too well right now though. Also, I got a haircut today.

I'm back!

Welcome back Davida. That sounds like a bit of a roller coaster you've been on.

Great to see you back, Davida. Sorry about your grandmother. Apart from that, so much good news! I am presently on holiday in the wilds of Argyll for 3 weeks and lamenting the fact that I have slightly less then 2 weeks left.

Marrying a Brit doesn't get you automatic right to live in the UK anymore. The husband has to earn over a specific amount to prove he can support the wife.

An acquaintance of mine ran into this one, as he was working freelance & not enough his new American wife was deported, but all is OK now but it took a year or so.

Yeah, I saw a whole fringe show last year about a brit who married an aussie girl who came over on a temporary work visa programme thing in an attempt to get her into the country permanently to continue their relationship, and the money aspect of it was pretty intense. It took ages too. Almost two years or something like that. That's why marrying in is plan C.

Definitely a rollercoaster. It's going up now though, so I'm happy.

Thanks for the wishes re: my grandma. Her last words to me on the night she died were to not go missing her too much when she's gone and to travel the world and go where I want to go. Turns out after I left that night she talked with my mom and her sister and decided not just the kids (she had 6 kids) should split her inheritance, but the 8 grandkids should split a 7th of it or something like that. I was not expecting money at all. Turns out my grandma had like a million dollars. Totally modest lifestyle, nothing extravagant...blows my mind. I wouldn't be going to the Fringe this year if not for her. So for that I am very grateful. I miss her a lot, but hopefully not *too* much.

A lovely optimistic story, Davida. Enjoy the Fringe!

Finished the first draft of yet another sitcom idea this morning. Lunch on the terrace in glorious weather (Malaga's at its best in June) then lazing around. About to meet some friends in the centre shortly. The only fly in the ointment is a water company lorry outside in the street, clearing a blocked drain with accompanying noise and smell...