Live recordings of sitcoms

I have always been intrigued what the hell happens at a live recording.

Can I assume that they show every scene in chronological order?

Do they show you ALL scenes? Or select scenes for different audiences?

Do they cut from showing various outdoor scenes on a TV screen straight to the stage where actors continue where they left off? If so, is this straight away?

Do the stage management and directors/producers get the audience to re-watch a scene as they're not convinced by their reaction?

Cheers all.

Essentially, you sit in front of however many sets needed for the episode. Each scene is recorded as though it were a play in chronological order, but obviously this takes a lot longer than you think because of fluffs, things going wrong etc. Any exterior filming is filmed and edited prior to the recording and played through on monitors at the appropriate time in the recording so your laughter can be recorded onto it. Personally I've never experienced having to rewatch a scene due to our reaction not being good enough, After all, nobody can force you to laugh if it isn't funny. That said, my experience is that there's something electric in the atmosphere at a television recording, so the crowd laughs quite loudly at things that aren't particularly funny sometimes. I do recommend it though, if you can get to Not Going Out when it's back Lee Mack almost takes over the warm up person's job at some points and it's a great, if rather long, evening.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 10th June 2018, 10:29 AM

Essentially, you sit in front of however many sets needed for the episode. Each scene is recorded as though it were a play in chronological order, but obviously this takes a lot longer than you think because of fluffs, things going wrong etc. Any exterior filming is filmed and edited prior to the recording and played through on monitors at the appropriate time in the recording so your laughter can be recorded onto it. Personally I've never experienced having to rewatch a scene due to our reaction not being good enough, After all, nobody can force you to laugh if it isn't funny. That said, my experience is that there's something electric in the atmosphere at a television recording, so the crowd laughs quite loudly at things that aren't particularly funny sometimes. I do recommend it though, if you can get to Not Going Out when it's back Lee Mack almost takes over the warm up person's job at some points and it's a great, if rather long, evening.

Thanks for the info - I am sure that a half hour episode probably takes a good couple of hours by the time they've switched from screen to stage and set to set plus cock-ups and technical glitches etc.

Funny you should mention Not Going Out. In about 2010, some mates and I pre-booked tickets to watch a live recording. We are only a couple of hours from London. We knew what time they'd let audience members in so we arrived with many, many hours to spare. Had a pleasant time out in London, taking in one or two of the local attractions and eating some nice grub. When we arrive, there's a queue as expected. Shortly later, one of the BBC workers comes out and right in front of us, they hold their arm out and say (not verbatim) "unfortunately, anybody behind this point in the line of the queue will not be able to enter as we've hit maximum numbers for seating.

We couldn't believe it. Livid! Nobody told us that there were no guarantees we'd get in and that even with a ticket, it's a first come, first serve basis. I know why they did it of course, but it was still a ball ache to know we traveled all that way for nothing (a part from a day out in London).

Then we got on the wrong tube - it wasn't even in operation. Nothing went right for us that day lol - and we also found it ironic that we were refused entry to a show called 'Not Going Out' as it was a case of 'Not Going In' etc.

I have since refused to attend any live screenings for the bastards at the Beeb.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 10th June 2018, 9:31 AM

Do the stage management and directors/producers get the audience to re-watch a scene as they're not convinced by their reaction?

No. They can level up and move around laughter clips in the edit.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 10th June 2018, 11:51 AM

We couldn't believe it. Livid! Nobody told us that there were no guarantees we'd get in and that even with a ticket, it's a first come, first serve basis.

I think that they have actually always made it quite clear that that is the case! Perhaps still not clear enough for some, it seems.

Quote: Aaron @ 10th June 2018, 12:13 PM

No. They can level up and move around laughter clips in the edit.

I think that they have actually always made it quite clear that that is the case! Perhaps still not clear enough for some, it seems.

Yeah - I doubt we read the small print to be honest.

Kids, eh?

You can sometimes get priority for the next one though if you're not able to get in.

Yeah it takes quite a time commitment, I'm usually over cautious because it takes me at least three hours to get to the studios, and I arrive at least two hours early, more often than not it'll be three or even four. At lot of effort for a free recording perhaps, but much better than travelling all that way for nothing!

I've been lucky in going to recordings of Marks & Gran sitcoms, as I'm usually a guest of the writers/production-team. I get to jump the queue, reserved seats & entry to the green-room party with the cast & crew afterwards.

... Heh, Heh, evil grin...

I've only ever seen one tv recording (Not Going Out (S08E07) "Enough") if you're interested, and a few radio recordings. I totally get why they are free tickets and everything but I'd personally rather pay a nominal fee to get a guaranteed (decent) seat.

It's the waiting about outside in the cold/rain that gets me - judging going to the toilet at the right time, knowing you can't go for 3 or 4 hours once you're in the studio. Apart from that, they are great experiences as I believed I posted here after I'd been.