Mark Heap

Anyone think that his brief roles in The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret (final episode) and Miranda (therapist in S3) where he plays a normalo ruins the mystique around him??
He plays the role of Brian and Jim (and a few others) so well that you honestly believe that he's like that in real life. Maybe he didn't want to be typecast or have people think that's what he's really like......but it does shatter the illusion and I wish I'd never seen that side of him!

I think he needs to take on other roles. He's rather typecast as the oddball at present.

Quote: Alfie J @ 17th December 2013, 3:45 PM GMT

Anyone think that his brief roles in The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret (final episode) and Miranda (therapist in S3) where he plays a normalo ruins the mystique around him??
He plays the role of Brian and Jim (and a few others) so well that you honestly believe that he's like that in real life. Maybe he didn't want to be typecast or have people think that's what he's really like......but it does shatter the illusion and I wish I'd never seen that side of him!

Totally disagree. I think that it shows a lot of talent for someone to be able to play characters that are both mysterious and also "normalos" as you put it.

I have to say that actually over time reds has proven correct and my initial thought was wrong, so very wrong. Perhaps I was temporarily flummoxed by the experience. It has been known to happen. But his role as an authoritative alpha-male only strengthens his repertoire and reputation. He has since played such a role in Upstart Crow brilliantly.

I should take this opportunity to gush in affection for him.
I think he's the best comedy actor - perhaps of our shores, perhaps of this generation - but arguably of all time?
He does seem to be quite under-rated. This board doesn't seem to show him as much love as I feel he deserves, despite some show-stealing roles in numerous highly rated sitcoms.

Tonight after the return of Friday Night Dinner, he was trending on Twitter. His character Jim really couldn't have been played by anyone else with any degree of success. Mark Heap owns the awkward weirdo because he does it so well.

Who shares my enthusiasm for this peerless comedy genius?

The first thing I saw him in was Green Wing. He was a fantastic oddball in that.

Spaced, Green Wing, and Friday Night Dinners: he's one of my favorites.

Not seen him in much cept Larkrise to Candleford..

He was the sassy one not wearing crinoline

Edit bcg screw up

He's brilliant as Dr Statham on Green Wing and seems to be great as the oddball Kramer style characters.

I like him as the oddball more, but think he's a good normallo too. Very good actor.

Loved him on Green Wing and 'Dinners' especially the bit he did, with the cat, requesting milk from his neighbours, then on receiver a saucer full, preceding to drink it, dry the saucer off on his mac and hand it back. Yes it was a good piece of writing, but so very well played!