What Games Consoles Do You Own?

Being a retro video games fan, I recently had to customise a unit to store them all in. This is what I own so far starting from oldest

Atari 2600
MB Vectrex
Commodore 64
NES
Sega Master System
Sega Mega Drive ( with Mega CD attachment )
Super Nintendo System
Amstrad GX4000
Atari Jaguar
Sega Saturn
Playstation 1
N64
Sega Dreamcast
Playstation 2
Nintendo Gamecube
XBOX
Playstation 3
XBOX 360
Nintendo Wii
Playstation 4
XBOX One

These are the handheld consoles I own

Sega Game Gear
Nintendo Gameboy Color
Gameboy Advance
Sony PSP
Nintendo DS
Gameboy Macro ( this is a customised one, not official. Does that count? )

And these are the console I am still hoping to get

HOME CONSOLES
Sega SG-1000 ( Sega's very first console released in 1983 but only in Japan )
Sinclair ZX Spectrum
Amstrad CPC
Atari ST
Commodore Amiga
Amiga CD32
Panasonic 3DO
Phillips CDI

HANDHELD CONSOLES
Sega Nomad ( again, not official )
Atari Lynx
Nintendo Switch

I also have posted a video onto YouTube of the unit I built plus the consoles I had collected thus far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y7fXg7-UpM

That's an impressive collection! I had a Vectrex as well!!

The earliest one I remember playing is Punchy on the Commodore 16 that my sister got for Crimbo. 16Kb RAM :D I got a Commodore Amiga 500 in 1990 which I upgraded to 1Mb and it's nostalgic to look at the games on youtube. Incredible how far gaming has come since the 90s. I got hold of Sonix for the Amiga which was music notation software and learnt to read music with that.

I bought the PS1 when it was released and played Tomb Raider a lot. GTA was ok but I didn't like the constant top down view. Took it to uni and I could kick everyones butt at Tekken 3. My character of choice was Nina because she could revese moves so I was untouchable. Me and a housemate would play a two player fighter jet game where he would control the plane and I was in charge of weapons. One level even let you drop napalm! We would have a few funny fags and play that for hours.

I Bought a second hand PS3 so I could play GTA5 as my PC wasn't up to running it and that was a blast but the blu-ray drive has broken so I can't play games on it anymore. I still use it for the DVD player and the wireless controller is handy for that. I'm going to buy a blu-ray drive and see if I can replace it because it doesn't look that difficult.

Not had a console since then. Consoles are good fun for 2 player and team games but not ideal for games like flight simulators or strategy, micro management games such as Theme Park/Theme Hospital/Company Of Heroes. It's probably doable with a controller but a mouse and keyboard makes life much easier.

I had to share with my brother when I was little, we had a Commodore 64 and then a ZX Spectrum, can't remember in which order though? We pretty much went through all the other and the varieties, Sega Master System / Megadrive and then Super Nintendo and Game Boy and Game Gear.

Finally I got the chance to own a console of my own with the first PlayStation and I f**king loved it, Tomb Raider really blew my mind.

After that I got an N64 and whilst I loved Mario 64, I wasn't into anything else on there and quickly jumped to a Sega Dreamcast. Same story though, wasn't into it. So went for a PS2 (when they dropped in price!) And I loved that bugger, played it for years until I died.

PS3 next. Again, amazing! I had loads of games for that and never even finished half of them, but in a -there's some much to play must try them all- kind of way.

PS4 came next and is my current console. It's great but I don't have as much time these days to play, but when I do I think it's awesome. This is pretty much the console I had been waiting for.

Honourable mention goes to the Wii, I think everyone had one of these? I had more of these knocking about than I had odd socks.

Another honourable mention goes to Oculus Rift. I had one of these and it was really cool but I had to give it to, along with PSVR because I just don't think it's where I want it to be yet. But it's not far off! Just need to make it more comfortable and seemless.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 4th June 2018, 1:25 PM

I got a Commodore Amiga 500 in 1990 which I upgraded to 1Mb and it's nostalgic to look at the games on youtube.

I too had an Amiga 500. Needed an external disk drive because some games required 2 disks to run. Had loads of games supplied by a friend. Never got addicted to them, as had ostensibly bought the thing for word processing and some very basic spreadsheeting. And the games just weren't that interesting. Especially those bloody tedious ones where you had to type in commands for what to take/do, where to go (such as Zak McKracken). Books and VHS tapes were a better diversion. When my Amiga 500 was passe, I sold it (via a newspaper ad) for too much to a middle-aged woman who knew little about computers. Always felt a bit guilty about that. Can't remember the name of my only favourite game, a gonk-like thing that could advance through many tiled levels, entirely joystick controlled. Jumping, firing, freezing stuff.

I just got Sega megadrive classics for my PS4

Over 50 games on 1 disc

Bored of it already!

Quote: lofthouse @ 4th June 2018, 6:06 PM

I just got Sega megadrive classics for my PS4

Over 50 games on 1 disc

Bored of it already!

:D I find these things are best left to memories. Some games are just good and always will be, but most are very much of their time or were just total shit in the first place.

Quote: Kenneth @ 4th June 2018, 3:29 PM

I too had an Amiga 500. Needed an external disk drive because some games required 2 disks to run. Had loads of games supplied by a friend. Never got addicted to them, as had ostensibly bought the thing for word processing and some very basic spreadsheeting. And the games just weren't that interesting. Especially those bloody tedious ones where you had to type in commands for what to take/do, where to go (such as Zak McKracken). Books and VHS tapes were a better diversion. When my Amiga 500 was passe, I sold it (via a newspaper ad) for too much to a middle-aged woman who knew little about computers. Always felt a bit guilty about that. Can't remember the name of my only favourite game, a gonk-like thing that could advance through many tiled levels, entirely joystick controlled. Jumping, firing, freezing stuff.

None of my mates had computers but there was one lad at school who I used to meet to buy copied Amiga games from. Because my mates viewed the Amiga as geeky and sad I had to keep it low key but the lad I used to trade games with is now a member of Paul Weller's band. That's pretty darn cool!

Some of my favourite Amiga games are Shadow of The Beast II, Syndicate and Escape From Colditz. Psygnosis who developed the Shadow Of The Beast games also developed the Lemmings series. I played Lemmings for a while when it came out but found it a bit repetitive and boring but Psygnosis were hands down the best software house of the Amiga era. They were like the Rockstar of their time and some Psynosis devs probably moved on to Sony and then Rockstar.

The Amiga 500 was a good all rounder and besides games it was a good office machine and I hooked up a dot matrix printer to use it for college assignments. One memorable utility was Disney Animation Studio which was a very powerful toolset for creating animated cartoons but I only did the traditional penis entering vagina with it.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 4th June 2018, 7:05 PM

One memorable utility was Disney Animation Studio which was a very powerful toolset for creating animated cartoons but I only did the traditional penis entering vagina with it.

Is that a traditional Disney animation??

Quote: Lee @ 4th June 2018, 8:26 PM

Is that a traditional Disney animation??

:D I bet those kinds of doodles are worth a fortune! I should have specified it was traditional in a 13 year old boy gets a free copy of animation software kind of way. This cutting edge report shows how nifty it was for people who were more interested in animation than sex (geeks)

I programmed and sold a few games for the ZX81 and spectrum.
I had to program long hand in machine code before assembly language came out.
Days and days of entering data strings.
I think it worked out at about 10p an hour.
Then a guy called Mathew Smith came on the scene and wrote Manic Miner.
I couldn't compete with that.... And gave up

Surprising number of responses to this thread. I saw what the OP owned and it made me think...

Am I too old or just too sensible?

Consoles are great for parties or a group of mates getting together for beers and [insert sport] but for someone who wants to play a single player game I don't think you can beat the versatility and maintenence friendly PC. There is also the cost aspect which is why I've still not bought a PS4. Would love to have one but never segmented the pile of cash needed for it. There is also the cost of the games which can cost upwards of 40 sheets. CEX are great for electrical items because everything comes with a 12 month guarantee and that is a sweet deal for second hand prices. They also offered to repair my broken PS3 even though the guarantee had expired a few months earlier.

I would be interested to know how the OP has sourced all that kit and if they are all still used. All brand new is going to be expensive but if they were all bought at the time of release that is one hardcore gamer :D

Is there an online Tekken game we can play? :D

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 5th June 2018, 5:46 PM

I programmed and sold a few games for the ZX81 and spectrum.
I had to program long hand in machine code before assembly language came out.
Days and days of entering data strings.
I think it worked out at about 10p an hour.
Then a guy called Mathew Smith came on the scene and wrote Manic Miner.
I couldn't compete with that.... And gave up

Cool story!

Manic Miner drove me insane

I remember in computer magazines they would have pages and pages of BASIC code that you typed in to your machine and when you were done it was a computer game

Of course what happened in reality was after spending three days typing all that shit in and you typed in "Run" - f**k all happened, cos you put one friggin digit in wrong somewhere and it screwed the whole thing up

Ah happy days

A lot of the stuff I owned as a child, whereas some I have bought in recent years. They all still work and I do use them regularly, as do my wife and son.

Quote: Chappers @ 5th June 2018, 9:52 PM

Surprising number of responses to this thread. I saw what the OP owned and it made me think...

Am I too old or just too sensible?

Both.

I own a 1973 (bought) wooden games compendium that has several classic games from backgammon to yahtsee. Also a large oak chess set with 12th century Lewis chessmen, copies obviously. Cool or what? Oh ok. :(