Peter Kay's Car Share - The Finale Page 3

I watched that scene again last night, and took their reactions to be in relation to the specific twists and turns of the story and the responses of the people in it rather than 'disgust' at the cross-dressing/transsexual element itself. The millisecond timing and subtle changing of their expressions at each point made that clear IMO.

Quote: gb901 @ 29th May 2018, 11:35 PM

What are you on about - his reaction was that of any normal, regular bloke. Are you really that thin skinned and over sensitive?

Why are you being so over sensitive about me being over sensitive? :)
We all see everything differently, I wouldn't worry about it.

I think it came across that they were disgusted by the person being trans. And as I said, I don't think the characters would be that horrible. If you and all the other regular blokes you know are, then that's fine. But it's not my experience.

Yeah was relatively impressed with it although it's not my kind of thing. Has to be because of the down to earth actors that I liked it more than others of this kind. It's quite Northern and earthy int'it as I believe they say up there. It looked to me like Gavin and Stacey meets The Royle Family so I'm glad I only watched the two specials all the way through.

I thought it used blaringly obvious tricks of a soundtrack and a disgustingly romcomish happy ending to the creators' detriment but the viewers' pleasure as many people lap this manipulative rubbish up. Had a couple of good lines, some other funny bits but it's not a sitcom.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 31st May 2018, 4:56 PM

it's not a sitcom.

Well, it specifically and most definitely is.

Then what would you call a comedy drama? Why even have the term comedy drama if they are all being defined as sitcoms now?

The term has to be more than technically just about having a situation and a sprinkling of comedy or everything, even some dramas are actually sitcoms now. It's nuts.

It has to be what we recognise as a sitcom. The format's being f**ked over by smartarse producers who can't find genuine sitcoms to nake anymore because the so called talent has been watching comedy dramas for too long. Car Share ain't what a sitcom should be. Angry

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 31st May 2018, 10:15 PM

Then what would you call a comedy drama?

Often an hour long. No gags. Lots more, you know, drama. Fairly straight/serious presentation and delivery.

That's a drama.

Well I meant the half hour shows. Rev was a Comedy Drama, Roger & Val, Detectorists etc. etc. all stealing the genuine sitcom slot. Possibly Peter Kay makes this is a bit more of a comedy yes, but he didn't make it funny enough to be a good one and there's a lot of comdram like padding which I never like.

Sitcom is something happens cue funny line, over and over bang bang bang, not waffle waffle waffle one funny line ten minutes later, waffle waffle again.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 31st May 2018, 10:37 PM

Well I meant the half hour shows. Rev was a Comedy Drama, Roger & Val, Detectorists etc. etc. all stealing the genuine sitcom slot.

The fact that you don't find it funny doesn't make it a comedy drama. In the case of Car Share it clearly isn't one, which is why it isn't labelled as such. Compare something that uses at least some relatively dramatic elements, like Detectorists or Derek to something like Skins, or even Catastrophe, and you'll see the difference. The first two, a vast majority of the time, use elements from comedy, the pacing, the light atmosphere, etc. And there are jokes, regardless of whether you laugh / think they're clever etc.

A comedy needs a lot more than being about a relationship to be a comedy-drama, really

I would say Car Share has (in some ways) a shared heritage with a show like 'Steptoe and Son'. You have effectively got a multi-cam setup, albeit on location not studio, with the dialogue between the two characters + occasional guest star being the whole nub of the programme. I'd certainly say that Car Share has far more in common with the traditional studio sitcom than Detectorists or Rev.

I find it is a pleasing reaction against the endless stream of dark/ultra-ironic comedy, it is nearer in tone to 'George and Mildred' than it is 'The Office'. I would certainly class it as sitcom, albeit in an evolved form from something studio-based.

Spot on, Robbo!

Eh ? It's nowhere near George & Mildred in funny line count or funny incident count, from the ones I saw. It was slow and pondering, chit chat based with a slither of a story behind it and the characters are too normal, most true sitcom lead characters are near cartoons with very emphasised traits.

But as a comedy drama or experimental type crossover sitcom-comdram I found it reasonably good and quite watchable yes.

But If I was asked to judge it as a sitcom then I'd be saying it's a poor one as it doesn't make me larf half as much as Only When It Ain't Half Hilarious Mum. Angry

I can't say Car Share compares to classics like Bumming Off or When the Whistle Blows