Peter Kay's Car Share - The Finale Page 2

I can't understand how you can't like him, he's a brilliant comedian and he's the country's most popular one so he must be doing something right. If he hadn't have cancelled his latest tour, he would have performed to over 1.3 million people.

I don't dislike him. I just don't go out of my way to watch him though.

Quote: Chappers @ 19th May 2018, 5:03 PM

All he does is remind you of things from when you were a kid and then everybody laughs for some strange reason.

Nice of you to assume why I like him, thanks. But you know as well as I do he does a bit of everything. He does your standard observational humour, occasional gags, anecdotal memoirs etc - and he does this all without the profanity and taboo subjects which some comedians now do - I don't get offended by taboo subjects in comedy, I just think half of the content and material is boring, samey and gets too political.

Anyhow, it's all subjective. You don't like his comedy style and that is fair enough.

I happen to think he's the most naturally funny and witty comedian we have.

For me he peaked TV-wise with That Peter Kay Thing.

Phoenix Nights is mediocre and ridiculously overrated.

Pretty much everything he has done since then has been poo.

Very talented witty fella - for me though he has spent years wasting those talents.

And his last stand-up tour was bollocks too.

Has anyone here been able to definitively work out WHEN the finale episode was shot? Shane Allen (BBC Comedy supremo) /Peter Kay imply this was AFTER the petition uproar, but writer Paul Coleman that it was BEFORE. I can only presume if the latter is true that the intention was to get a third shot at a BAFTA by being shown in another calendar year. But what is the truth of the matter - anyone here know for sure?

Quote: Robbo88 @ 26th May 2018, 9:21 AM

Has anyone here been able to definitively work out WHEN the finale episode was shot?

Both the finale and improvised episode were filmed with the rest of Series 2 proper.

Quote: Aaron @ 26th May 2018, 12:32 PM

Both the finale and improvised episode were filmed with the rest of Series 2 proper.

Yes, they were all filmed in 2016. There was always going to be a finale, it was just kept under wraps to build up anticipation to get people talking and to boost viewing figures. I really hope we get a good ending on Monday night's episode.

Er... quite!

Considering tonight was the first time I actually sat down to watch Car Share (well a proper episode anyway as opposed to the improvised one) I thought it was just lovely. I got the characters and story straight away in ep 4 and then the finale seemed to do a lot with a little, by which I mean it was nice to see two people with genuine chemistry sparking off each other. No overtly grand sweeping speeches or stereotypical saccharine sweetness (though the song was pushing it).

I'll admit to disliking the finale, finding it smaltlzy and quite frankly, boring. I reckon Kay will release his ditty as a single though.

Some of Kay's back catalogue is excellent - Phoenix Nights and That Peter Kay Thing. That said, the former was penned in collaboration with Dave Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice. I don't know, I find that prefacing your work with 'Peter Kay's ...' to be rather grandiose too.

Personally, I thought it was a cracking end to a cracking series.

Sad that it's come to an end, but I think now it will be remembered for many years to come.

I found it better (and more satisfying on an emotional level) on the 2nd viewing. The extended business with the dropped coin and the hedgehog seemed to be deliberately flagging up that being in love didn't stop them being their own definite selves; and the bit with the wedding card to emphasise just how much they have in common (plus some belated jealousy from John!). I have to be honest though - Twitter went mad for the door being broken off, it seemed shocking but not very funny - yet as far as I can see most people found that the funniest bit. For me the comedic highlight was Ted3 making eyes at Kayleigh.

Great show, would love to see more even though it would no doubt be a disappointment! As a body of work I think it matches the best of anything else in British TV sitcom history, it really is a remarkable achievement on the part of Peter Kay.

He recycled a few of his old routines.
The 2p under the car was originally a pound at a toll booth
And he plagiarised the 'couldn't get the key in' line from The Royle Family.

Really enjoyed the series and thought the finale well worth the wait.
Just have to mention - loved the signage gags - the ones i caught at least. Such as the huge billboard hot dog with 'not actual size' underneath it.

Quote: zooo @ 13th May 2018, 11:21 AM

Yes. It was weird and a bit out of nowhere and made me uncomfortable. I didn't think it fit with their characters that they'd be so disgusted by it.

What are you on about - his reaction was that of any normal, regular bloke. Are you really that thin skinned and over sensitive?

Quote: Chappers @ 14th May 2018, 9:14 PM

I haven't seen it but this "trans thing" was all over the national press.

Oh, that being the over sensationalistic UK press that make a mountain over nothing, let alone an mole hill!