Good pilots that weren't made into series

Moonmonkeys, Lizzie and Sarah, We The Jury, The Pact

Surely if they were 'good' they would have been made into series....?

I wish, but unfortunately it seems having a big name attached to it and/or doing something that's been done before does more to increase the chance it'll be commissioned more than being 'good' or original does

Therre must be a lot of behind the scenes 'not what you know but who you know' going on to get the dotted line signed especially with the BBC. There will be other factors like key actors dropping out or a change of staff that has stopped a lot of promising ideas develop over the years. In a way it's the same risk as a bank manager giving a loan and sometimes it's too risky or the funds have already been spent on a better prospect. Wasn't Happy Families close to being re-commissioned for a new series but filming of Red Dwarf series 1 got the cash instead?

I saw a filmed Harry Hill one a few years ago - Soapington Way. Typical HH and I've no idea why it never materialised. I would like it on DVD.

Incidentally I see he's got a new star-studded one called the Mayoress.

Douglas Bader

"Welcome to Strathmuir":

https://www.absolutely.biz/news/welcome-to-strathmuir

Just watched Our Ex-Wife. very good, and it was nice seeing Robert Webb shine in a role without David Mitchell

Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger had a film made about him but deserved a series.

I really enjoyed I'll Fly You For A Quid from the Seven Of One series. Would have liked to see a full series of that.

The Pact I think it was called, with Sarah Solemani. Excellent pilot but sadly no series ever materialised, which is a crying shame.

Douglas Bader legs it.

An alternative could be pilots which were updated. The Odd Job (Ronnie Barker and Graham Chapman versions) and Impasse (both by Galton and Simpson, one with Paul Merton) are two examples.

Heil Honey I'm Home! was a hilarious pilot but destined never to fly. The fact it got made at all was down to the creative force that was Channel 4 at the time and before the west was taken over by PC killjoys. A great comedy experiment even though I suspect now it was highly influenced by The Producers. I don't know if he ever saw it but Mel Brookes would've loved it.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 29th October 2018, 2:12 AM

Heil Honey I'm Home! was a hilarious pilot but destined never to fly. The fact it got made at all was down to the creative force that was Channel 4 at the time

Except it was made for the satellite channel, Galaxy. And a full 12-part series was commissioned, with 7 already filmed, by the time the project was cancelled.