Are there any stand up comedians on here?

Ok, so I did my first stand-up back in 2014 at Stand-Up NY in New York city, it was an open mic. I never been on stage before and... (anyway too long story, basically I messed up, you can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ksa-q-C8N0 )

Even tho I messed up and now Im paranoid and have this fear of doing stand up again, I still really want to do it but not sure how to get myself to do it.

What drives you? What do you do after you mess up the whole thing (if you do) how do you get up there and do it again? Any advice for bad stand-up """"""""comedian""""""" ? lol

it is 1am, I hope I make sense lol

Most of us on here can stand up, so you're in a good place to get advice.

I have rehearsed stand up but never given it live.

I think the trick is to script 5 mins and then learn it until you know it backwards (forwards may be better in some circumstances).

I have given hundreds of sales presentations and the trick was always preparation.

In sales it's the 5 P's

Piss Poor Preparation = Pathetic Performance

Good luck with better advice from the next sad hopeless git that appears here to advise you. It's probably an arsehole, most of 'em are on here - it takes one to know one of course, and they all seem OK to me. :)

Or the six p principle -
Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

You always have to go one better Angry

Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance Permanently.

Not a stand up, but I've seen lots and basically, the only answer is do it again. And again. And again after that. See what works, what doesn't, rewrite your set, then do it again. If you want to be a stand up, get in front of an audience, it's that simple really. You may die the worst death of your life, but you just say next time will be better. It might be, it might not, but perseverance is the prerogative of the comic.

And have a bordering on creepy fixation with Mel C

Saw your vid and didnt understand a word but I laughed all the same.

You are likeable - and have the look of a wacky comedian.

my 2 cents

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 24th April 2018, 9:16 PM

And have a bordering on creepy fixation with Mel C

Well, some people bugger dead chickens... One of the proudest moments of my life was when we were about to do a show and no one knew anyone else so it was all nervous - then this Yankee goes to me, 'HEY - you're the guy that jerks off to Mel C, right?' This tells you a lot about the state of my life.
It's something you just have to keep doing. The more you do it, the easier it gets because 1 you get used to the situation, 2 you write more so just use the cream of the crap, and 3 each time you f**k up it matters less cos it's a smaller percentage.
Also, don't give a f**k what people might think. There's always a reason not to talk about something - too personal, rude, old hat etc. You'd never get on stage again.
I've been stand upping on and off for about 8 years. I am still total shit.

:) :)

hmmm, thanks guys and thank you@Flook - maybe that's how I should sell myself, say crap people dont understand and just be wacky lol :D

I used to do stand up (wayyyy back!) with moderate success. Lukas it is unfortunate that your audience were all Australian. I guess this might have been avoided if you could have either been part of the audience for a bit or heard other acts on before you.

Don't be so hard on yourself i.e. it was a first gig - did you expect to be on a roll (so soon, already?) ;) Being nervous is a good sign, in moderation (I had occasions when I didn't care whether they laughed or not...indifference is not good!) Have you thought about going to a comedy workshop (if they exist somewhere near you)? You will learn a lot from that.

I will pass on a technique that worked for me i.e. to relax me just when I was about to go on stage....I thought of something that mellowed me/made me feelgood.

Re. mumbling - make a conscious effort to s-l-o-w down (to counteract sounding nervous) and try and to pronounce words clearly i.e. in particular, the punchline is key!

Re. having ADHD - is it a problem when performing? If so, it's wise to let them know you have this then make a joke about it. Maybe you can say something like....I have ADHD....luckily I don't also have OCD as well, else I'd be keeping everything neat and tidy....but not for very long.

Have a plan B if everything goes out of your head i.e. either improvise (maybe something catches your eye about the audience) or, maybe, have a prop to do something interesting with.

Have some prepared responses to anticipated heckles - being one step ahead and witty with it is a huge plus!

Try and enjoy the experience - it's just a laugh after all and especially if you're not yet getting paid!

I am a stand-up. I've done hundreds of gigs now. I started out rubbish, but now I'm not rubbish. Don't think too much about your first gig, just go and do more! :)

Quote: Tom Mayhew @ 19th July 2018, 10:19 PM

I started out rubbish, but now I'm not rubbish.

Onwards and upwards, Tom! :D

I used to worry I'd be crap, but I'm fine now. I KNOW I'll be crap.