A subjective question Page 3

Quote: Ben @ 20th May 2018, 11:56 AM

I can't say I've watched, with any regularity, many British comedies in the last five years or so. Detectorists is probably the one exception and I love everything about that from the writing to the acting and the production. I *liked* People Just Do Nothing, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I loved it in the same way I loved The Office, Peep Show, The IT Crowd and The Inbetweeners.

And yet ten years ago people would be saying about how those last four you mentioned were crap, and that they didn't enjoy them as much as say, One Foot in the Grave, Bottom, or The Royle Family. Before that there'd be people saying that the 90's were crap for comedy because the three I just mentioned weren't the same as Only Fools and Horses. Perhaps ten years from now there will be a thread about how crap sitcoms from the 2020's are, and for them how they will never quite be the same as Detectorists, Mum, or Derry Girls

Quote: behminztur @ 20th May 2018, 4:08 PM

And yet ten years ago people would be saying about how those last four you mentioned were crap, and that they didn't enjoy them as much as say, One Foot in the Grave, Bottom, or The Royle Family

If you check the press (and the threads on here) from 2008, I think you'll find that the four 00s shows I mentioned received mostly glowing praise at the time.

Most of our (British) comedy writers/performers are so busy on the panel game circuit (pays the bills), they are neglecting the huge audience desperate and hungry for the next gem.

Watch the compilation of Bob Mortimer on Would I Lie To You. For me it is fifty odd minutes of classic comedy.

He is a very, very funny man in his own right. Much funnier than Vic Reeves.

Surely he could be commissioned to write a sitcom in his own style with his own material.

Where is Paul Whitehouse? That bloke is multi-talented.

Why aren't these people being courted to write some stuff?

Wait.....a sitcom about a comedy panel show!!

You heard it here first.

Groomio on Plebs is the best comedy character for years.

Quote: Wadley @ 21st May 2018, 11:31 PM

Most of our (British) comedy writers/performers are so busy on the panel game circuit (pays the bills), they are neglecting the huge audience desperate and hungry for the next gem.

Watch the compilation of Bob Mortimer on Would I Lie To You. For me it is fifty odd minutes of classic comedy.

He is a very, very funny man in his own right. Much funnier than Vic Reeves.

Surely he could be commissioned to write a sitcom in his own style with his own material.

Where is Paul Whitehouse? That bloke is multi-talented.

Why aren't these people being courted to write some stuff?

Wait.....a sitcom about a comedy panel show!!

You heard it here first.

Groomio on Plebs is the best comedy character for years.

I agree about Bob Mortimer because he is very funny and always carried Vic. Ever since Big Night Out if you watch it closely you can see time and time again how Bob keeps the continuity going and always knows what is coming up next. He is also much better at reacting to something unplanned by a fricking bakers' mile. Vic could be forgetful and Bob was always ready to pounce when Vic hesitated/lost the plot.

Quote: Flook @ 16th May 2018, 8:33 PM

My take is You laugh with or you laugh at, theres multi hoots in everything.
you miserable sods

I am eagerly anticipating face2facesoftware http://visagetechnologies.com/face2face-live-video-editing-of-facial-expressions when it is released.
That has the potential to be a game changer - as well as legally toxic -
Dont know how impressionist will compete

Deep fake simulation -Obama

https://youtu.be/cQ54GDm1eL0

Quote: Flook @ 30th May 2018, 6:09 PM

Deep fake simulation -Obama

https://youtu.be/cQ54GDm1eL0

It's a fairly good video, but the voice is appalling.

Quote: Aaron @ 30th May 2018, 6:13 PM

It's a fairly good video, but the voice is appalling.

There is software to take care of that too. :)

Does anyone agree with me that with the abundance of stations churning out "comedy" that the quality is being watered down?

Half, maybe more of them I will never get to see because they are on channels that I will never get to pay for.

Obviously writers, actors etc will go where the money is. They don't care that it will never appear on mainstream TV to a big audience. Game show formats are amended with lesser degrees of success.

Does anybody care?

Quote: Chappers @ 5th September 2022, 7:38 PM

Does anyone agree with me that with the abundance of stations churning out "comedy" that the quality is being watered down?

Coincidence, not correlation.

The industry is now disconnected from the audience and makes only limited amounts of limited interest. It's nothing to do with the number of outlets.

Quote: Aaron @ 5th September 2022, 7:47 PM

Coincidence, not correlation.

The industry is now disconnected from the audience and makes only limited amounts of limited interest. It's nothing to do with the number of outlets.

So am I missing much? I'm thinking about going back to just Freeview.

Quote: Chappers @ 5th September 2022, 8:10 PM

So am I missing much? I'm thinking about going back to just Freeview.

Not really, no. You could have a look through our guides and lists with pages such as the below, to check out exactly what's on where.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/list/all_genres/all_bskyb/

https://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/channel/comedy_central/

Of course, there are things like NOW, offering subscription-free, monthly-payment access to loads of channels and content: https://www.nowtv.com/

And you could similarly dip in and out of services like BritBox and Amazon Prime. A month on one, gorging on all of their content, then a month on another, then a month off, then start over again to check out new additions. And repeat. I know a number of people who do this and it suits them quite well.

Quote: Aaron @ 5th September 2022, 7:47 PM

Coincidence, not correlation....limited amounts of limited interest.

Sounds like correlation.

Quote: Firkin @ 5th September 2022, 8:41 PM

Sounds like correlation.

Sorry, I meant coincidence/correlation not causation!