Peter Kay's Car Share - The Finale

Just recently rewatched Series 1 and 2 back to back and now eagerly awaiting the Final episode along with the Unscripted special. A wonderfully written, well acted, well made sitcom.

When're the new episodes expected?

Did anyone else catch the Unscripted Special? I found it to be rather disappointing and totally pointless.

I am still however looking forward to the Finale at the end of the month.

I had never sen Car Share before. Based on the improvised episode, I like the concept but my goodness Peter Kay can't think on his feet. And did anyone else get a bit uncomfortable at the sudden attack on trans people and Kay's reactions?

Well it didn't look that unscripted to me. Much of it was interacting to the radio which is a bit of a con especially as it had so much of the episode. The radio sections didn't sound just randomly live, it sounded selected, with that long monologue about trannies. If it wasn't randomly live as they turned it on then the episode wasn't unscripted.

Also their reaction seemed quite muted as if very conscious of the fact of being filmed. There wasn't a lot of true spontaneity about it imo, which had me thinking this was either a second or third take or even edited, both of which would not qualify as truly unscripted in my book. I don't know how much a part the car radio plays in normal episodes as I've only caught about half an ep before this but don't remember the wireless playing such a big role as it did here.

About as funny as dangling your private parts in sulphuric acid

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 12th May 2018, 12:44 AM

I had never sen Car Share before. Based on the improvised episode, I like the concept but my goodness Peter Kay can't think on his feet. And did anyone else get a bit uncomfortable at the sudden attack on trans people and Kay's reactions?

Yes. It was weird and a bit out of nowhere and made me uncomfortable. I didn't think it fit with their characters that they'd be so disgusted by it.

I enjoyed it actually. The radio stuff clearly a bit of a con to help them along and give them something to talk about, but I think you can still call it unscripted - just not 100% natural, unprompted and improvised.

Have no recollection of any trans thing...

Is the rest of the series worth watching? I watched the first episode of Series 2 and despite normally hating Kay, the two of them have great chemistry.

Yes. Yes, it is.

Quote: Aaron @ 14th May 2018, 5:56 PM

Yes. Yes, it is.

Good to hear. I'll wait for the final episode to air and the inevitable complete boxset.

Quote: Aaron @ 14th May 2018, 1:55 PM

Have no recollection of any trans thing...

I haven't seen it but this "trans thing" was all over the national press.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 12th May 2018, 12:44 AM

Peter Kay as Peter Kay in any other setting most certainly can think on his feet. He's one of the most naturally witty comedians out there in my view.

I like the fact he refuses to be PC and can often offend interviewers on TV by his remarks. Some find him very arrogant because of this but I think he shows he's his own man, not one of these irritating little tossers usually with long hair who just want to show they're in some trendy lefty inclined non racist or sexist clique.

Car Share while not my go to type of sitcom is an interesting concept and reminds me a lot of Roger and Val Have Just Got In. And both were oddly watchable while not being hilarious.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 18th May 2018, 9:55 PM

Peter Kay as Peter Kay in any other setting most certainly can think on his feet. He's one of the most naturally witty comedians out there in my view.

All he does is remind you of things from when you were a kid and then everybody laughs for some strange reason.

A very successful writer, actor and comedian - a bit more than a 'remember when guy.