Idiot Proof Posting

I just hit the back button on my browser while replying in a thread and when I used the forward button to get back to the page I was on it loads the box to post in but it's been cleared. There are sites that don't wipe the text if you do this so is that possible? I'm not even sure how it's done but maybe something to do with loading cached pages.

I feel sure that that effect is a property of which browser program you use not the website.

Quote: billwill @ 28th April 2018, 1:16 AM

I feel sure that that effect is a property of which browser program you use not the website.

Hmmmm, interesting (strokes imaginary beard)

You could be right Billwill and I'll check that because it could be the memory of the browser which is mostly Firefox. I usually compose everything in notepad++ but the one time I don't do that is when I somehow hit something on the keyboard with my sausage fingers that makes the browser go back a page.

I have also realised that this restoration might be due to a cache held by the browser, normally this is used to reduce Internet traffic. If a page is pressent in the cache, that is presented to the user instead of re-fetching it over the Internet. There are "do-not-cache" flags that can be set by websites but the action is not consistently implemented in the browser programs.

In any case you do not want cached copies in a discussion forum, it might present "yesterday's" messages instead of showing the latest ones. So when ever I program forum software I always set as many "do-not-cache" options as possible.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 28th April 2018, 1:32 AM

Hmmmm, interesting (strokes imaginary beard)

You could be right Billwill

You can stroke Bill's real beard.

Yes, it's related to your browser, not much we can do. I too am victim of it from time to time when writing news stories or filling in new episode data.