This Country Page 2

Quote: ContainsNuts @ 14th April 2018, 7:09 PM

In what way?

I'd argue they're incredibly similar. The characters from each could quite easily meet each other and not seem out of place; the protagonists in both have a similar amount of intellect and self-awareness; and the two shows are tonally and stylistically near identical.

Quote: Aaron @ 14th April 2018, 9:27 PM

I'd argue they're incredibly similar. The characters from each could quite easily meet each other and not seem out of place; the protagonists in both have a similar amount of intellect and self-awareness; and the two shows are tonally and stylistically near identical.

Where would they meet where they wouldn't feel out of place? Could you imagine Grinder in the country or Kurtain and Kelly in an urban estate? The world's they live in are completely different, countryside v urban London. Grinder's self awareness is that he thinks he's a celebrity, Kelly and Kurtain are aware that they don't live in the 'real world' as expressed in the episode where the vicar's son visits. One of the main story engines in PJDN is about Grinder and his girlfriend. Another is Grinder's talent as an MC. This Country barely touches on love stories and there is no clear talent driving either. Stylistically? Are you talking about mockumentary because visually one focuses on grimy urban grey colours and the other is sunny and bright countryside.

I think there are more differences than you are giving it credit for.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ 14th April 2018, 9:42 PM

Where would they meet where they wouldn't feel out of place? Could you imagine Grinder in the country or Kurtain and Kelly in an urban estate? The world's they live in are completely different, countryside v urban London.

I mean that they inhabit the same world. Yes they're different characters in different environments, but a hypothetical crossover would work in way that, say, Benidorm and Fleabag wouldn't.

Quote: Aaron @ 14th April 2018, 9:47 PM

I mean that they inhabit the same world. Yes they're different characters in different environments, but a hypothetical crossover would work in way that, say, Benidorm and Fleabag wouldn't.

They are similar in tone to that of a UK mockumentary which they both are. For me, that's it. The characters, environment and story engines are very different which is what you mainly look for in judging comedies. One's about life when you think anything is possible and one is about life when you think very little is possible.

I love This Country. Hilarious for me. Love the fact Kelly hangs round with a bunch of Year 7s as she can control them and has no friends other than Kurt.

Quote: gb901 @ 13th March 2018, 11:09 PM

Great, yet another alleged comedy about this country's underclass - are they really necessary?

Tonight, it won a BAFTA.

Cool

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 22nd April 2018, 11:35 PM

Tonight, it won a BAFTA.

Cool

Well deserved! Excellent sitcom.

It's very funny. It is not "on the go" or fly-on-the-wall or Peep Show like comedy, as it has very defined story in each episode and is much richer in nuances. Main actors are good, though a little repetitive as vulnerable "tough" young ones. One liner Tiger child nailed his character, and so did all supporting actors (tattoo artist f.i.). Not an easy endeavour to write and smoothly film such thing, I presume.

The second series stepped things up a level. Amongst the daftness, they delivered some real poignancy. Difficult to pull off. It will be interesting to see what the Coopers move onto next.

Quote: italophile @ 23rd May 2018, 11:59 AM

The second series stepped things up a level. Amongst the daftness, they delivered some real poignancy. Difficult to pull off. It will be interesting to see what the Coopers move onto next.

Well they left it quite open with Kerry handing herself in to the nick.

Got an email from Fred Perry good to see Curtain has found a job. https://www.fredperry.com/s18-sale/men/laurel-wreath-broken-tipped-pique-polo-shirt-m3374-f44.html

Jesus, that's UNCANNY!

I mean... is that actually him?

Quote: Scartledge @ 28th July 2018, 10:59 PM

Jesus, that's UNCANNY!

I mean... is that actually him?

Yes it's him he did modelling for a while he mentioned it in an interview.

I can't place how old the two protagonists are meant to be: early twenties I would imagine?

I recently attended the preview screening in Cirencester - got lucky with the ballot. Last time I applied for a screening was for Not Going Out about 10 years ago. Drove all the way to central London to have a day-out and then queue to get in. We were refused entry due to the fact that it was a first come, first serve term and condition!

Anyway, lesson learned this time around.

This sitcom is that extra bit special to me since I live relatively close to the location of filming and the fact much of the language used and references to life in the west country is very familiar.

What I battle with internally with this show, is would it even exist without The Office? There are a number of comedies that are heavily influenced by The Office - and not just style of comedy but how it is filmed. Does it take the shine off from a show like This Country and People Just Do Nothing? Is it original despite being very funny with some touching storylines?

The number of times I've tried to come-up with an idea for an original comedy and it ends up being Office or Extras. How the feck do writers do it? What is left to create that has not been done before?

On a more positive note, Daisy and Charlie Cooper offer a great and honest insight in to the development of This Country and the journey they took in making this show - gives us all some hope as they really are not all that professional. They're just normal and average people with average backgrounds who wrote a funny show - regardless of what you think of it.