BCG Fantasy Premier League 2017/18 Page 16

Salah.

I haven't looked at my team in a few weeks
I just hope I had him as captain

No, you had Bobby Charlton. I'd say it's a good thing real football managers don't employ the Steve Sunshine 'if it doesn't look like we can win it after ten games then give up and do something more interesting' approach. There'd only be six clubs in the whole league.

Yes I lost interest again
But I might still keep going

As you well know just because someone has a really big lead it doesn't mean that they can't be caught you just need a dash of luck allied with a fair dose of tactical genius

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 19th March 2018, 1:36 PM

Yes I lost interest again
But I might still keep going

It has been very hard to keep playing this season. Aside from the serial lack of input from posters on here - of which I have now become one of the absentees - they made playing too much of a of a headache by ridiculous pricing vs budget from the off.

The Premier league has done the rest in terms of killing interest.

More than a little bit unlucky last week I reckon, and not just with Kane.

Rank is currently circa 500,000 which is 200,000 worse than the first season I played! That's what you get for only bothering at the start and finish.

Still I've never finished above Anton, so it's not difficult for me to accept that he's a lot better at this than me. I'd say he sealed his win early on by not buying and captaining Kane. I'd be interested to know Anton, if you ever post again, whether that was because of something you spotted in his play or just the 'never scores in August' hoodoo.

Will play to the death. Can still pass Gerry and Don. Looks like Splodge has fully given up. Shame.

There's always a lot of luck involved in this game. I've had Salah and captained him at the right time and yes, despite being a big fan of Kane I thought new ground and hoodoo were enough of a turn-off.

Double-Weeks can be massive in this game so I'm not relying on anything yet. Still lots of games to come, chips to be played.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ 14th April 2018, 7:50 AM

There's always a lot of luck involved in this game. I've had Salah and captained him at the right time and yes, despite being a big fan of Kane I thought new ground and hoodoo were enough of a turn-off.

Double-Weeks can be massive in this game so I'm not relying on anything yet. Still lots of games to come, chips to be played.

Just had a look. You spread your captain over the first 8 weeks between Jesus, Lukaku, Kane and Salah - mostly Jesus and Lukaku. I only captained Kane, who blanked for most of the games. Crucially when he did score big so did Jesus - like GW4 K26/J24 or GW6 where Kane got 26 and Jesus didn't play but your Vc Silva was worth 22. The real separator was GW8 where you captained Jesus and everyone captained Kane, who blanked. GW rank of circa 7K and an overall jump from 95K to under 7K. You didn't even own Kane at this point, so it wasn't luck in any shape or form. (unfortunately :D )

Don't think anyone can catch you - certainly not Gerry - he's too predictable. (I've taken to abusing him because I can't catch him). He will play his free hit card this week. Talking of luck - What about the other week where Gerry missed a penalty but got the save points from Schmeichel! After the bonus he ended up with more points than if the penalty had gone in.

Not sure what to do re City. Silva would have brought in a tidy amount of points if Sterling had any finishing ability. Unbelievable that he has seventeen goals for the season. How many would he have had if he could actually play football?

Yeah the end of season is tough as this is the time players get rotated for many reasons. Double game weeks can be game changers though. Let's see...

So far the highest scorer of this gameweek is a Man Utd supporter who had three Brighton defenders in his team and whose overall position is worse than 4 millionth.

But it is early doors. I done transfers following my election duty on behalf of Councillor Skripals.

After an incredible GW37 where Don got within 6 points (SIX POINTS!) of Anton, Anton has held on to take it and increase his overall lead. Well done Anton and good job. You are the champion and win the Clique league.

In a break with tradition, rather than a cup, this season's prize is a fat girl in a cage.
Here she is.

With Radish one f**king point behind me and his free hit card still in hand I was forced to go large with my transfers and took a 28pt hit. Rather humorously I still only managed to get two out of four for my bench boost and Radish has sailed past me to achieve the (utterly pathetic and worthless) position of fourth in the table. I'm sure Radish will be hoping I will verbally abuse him for this so I won't disappoint the orange, stuffed wanker.

Well done to all who finished above me. Anton, Don and Gerry all played very well for a long time. GW37 was such a nail biter, with Don's differential choice of TC really paying off and really setting up a final game week that would have been truly exciting were there anyone here to comment on it.

Last season I got 93pts for my TC chip, this one 9, which is almost the lowest possible from a playing player who hasn't been booked. That indicates two things, both of which are probably true.

1. I don't really know what I'm doing.
2. The game is really f**ked up.

There were a number of reasons why I didn't engage with the game this season but noticing that of the seven years I've played this game three have been affected by personal issues I have decided to pursue counselling. Yes, that's right, Raheem Sterling and Alexis Sanchez really did make me seek professional mental help.

The game can't go on in the current form. I would advocate dropping the three strikers to two or making it more flexible how you make up your team. It's all very well having the odd player out of position but most of the goalscorers in the game are classed as mid-fielders and most of the designated strikers aren't worth buying. The price-to-budget ratio was also way off this season.

As for the Clique... I'll continue to look in. I hope it returns, because it was wonderful in it's pomp and it may yet rise again.

Look - there goes Anton - doing his lap of honour - he looks beautiful man, with the sun on his back. A fitting champion. What shame he's a United supporter.

Congratulations to all for surviving it - and especially to Anton de Cone.

While my sympathies go out to dear old Godot of the 18th December birthday, I think Chelsea would disagree that fourth is f-----g worthless. This might be the first time I have reached the Champions League.

Yes - I left it late, having faffed around in the 5th to 7th zone for a long, long time but I gradually crept up like a gnome does to a lilypuddle when creeping up to a gnome. Then I really went for it like I have never gone for it before.

That second half was wild - repetitive checking as the goals flew in. I figured Salah would be dragged off early but earlier than what happened and I was very worried about Arnautovic.

Still, alls well that ends well and that's a great picture above of Kirstie Allsopp. Will there be a league for the World Cup?

Now that the bonus points have been added, I shall concede the title.

Congratulations Anton, you absolutely smashed it this season...

FINALLY, in a last gasp effort I managed to drag myself off the very bottom rung of the ladder where I have remained all season, and so retain some pride. :D

AND er, by beating Don in the last match of the season 74 - 62 I prevented him from taking the H2H title. Laughing out loud Love it.................always the bridesmaid (both of us that is)

Congrats to Anton :)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th May 2018, 11:43 PM

FINALLY, in a last gasp effort I managed to drag myself off the very bottom rung of the ladder where I have remained all season, and so retain some pride. :D

AND er, by beating Don in the last match of the season 74 - 62 I prevented him from taking the H2H title. Laughing out loud Love it.................always the bridesmaid (both of us that is)

Congrats to Anton :)

That is genuinely fascinating - I really thought Ron would win it this year - and it is such a well written post too.

You would be the forum's West Brom if West Brom had not lost to Crystal Palace and Stoke hadn't beaten Swansea.

I was impressed by the way you fought for it - it's first place in everything but name.