It Ain't Half Hot Mum Page 8

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 28th March 2018, 3:22 PM

Yes Frensham Ponds near me has been used for many Films and TV scenes over the years including Carry On Jack and Cleo and I wouldn't be surprised if Cruising was shot there too. I think The Cruel Sea was filmed in the big pond where it's quite deep, it reaches your knee out in the middle.

I once worked and stayed in Aldershot for 3 weeks in the 80's Alfred (The Army show/exhibition)

Every pub was full of squaddies looking for trouble.
The Military police were permanently cruising the streets to intervene in all the fights that broke out.
They didn't f**k about either, straight in with big batons bonking heads as they dragged them away.

You could not try and chat up the local talent - every girl was squaddy property whether they liked it or not.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th October 2014, 10:04 PM

Well, I loved it.

As did I and recall watching it when first broadcast as a child.

Great article on Don Estelle: https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/comedy_chronicles/don-estelle/

Two of the regulars were in OFAH

Quote: Kenneth @ 8th May 2020, 2:44 AM

Great article on Don Estelle: https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/comedy_chronicles/don-estelle/

Sounds as if he had always had lofty aspirations...

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 9th May 2020, 9:54 AM

he had always had lofty aspirations...

An informant once said as much very quietly in my ear.

This is so good. Not only the best Croft and Perry sitcom (and all of their's are fantastic) but the best ever sitcom.

I think if this was repeated over the past 40 years the way Dad's Army. Fool and horses and Fawlty Towers have been then the majority of people would agree.

Can any Croft and Perry fan back me up on my claim that this is superior even to Dad's Army?

Iv'e never seen such blatant poofery in all my life.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 22nd January 2022, 9:08 AM

You, you ist! It's now part of modern life, give us a kiss I'll tell you more about it. ?

Forgotten how to post youtube vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6dALp4VPU8

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 22nd January 2022, 10:09 AM

Forgotten how to post youtube vids

Dunno what you mean.............

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 22nd January 2022, 9:08 AM

IF you're interested - TPTV Tues 25th 3.25 pm Frazer Hines interviews Melvin Hayes

Quote: Ivor Hardy @ 22nd January 2022, 3:21 AM

Can any Croft and Perry fan back me up on my claim that this is superior even to Dad's Army?

Not from me, although it's very largely due to Dad's Army that I'm a fan of theirs. Credit must be given though for the way they made this so different to Dad's Army, both being WW2 military sitcoms that ran at the same time. IAHHM reflected the harsher reality of army life much more than DA, being bawled at by a zealous Sergeant Major every day, by virtue of being regulars, although they were (essentially) an entertainment troupe.

Windsor Davies was cast for the huge presence he'd bring to the sitcom, and as great as he was, his character would never have been wasted in such an ineffectual wartime role. It was more likely to be done by someone like Frankie Howerd or Spike Milligan who both served in similar roles in WW2. Not sure where it was filmed, probably Pinewood or Elstree or similar but I do remember admiring the way they made it look so authentically hot, I expect the studio's heating bills were the highest of all time.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 28th March 2018, 8:47 AM

"Having grown tired of trying to make Norfolk conifer woods look like the Burmese jungle, we decided to move to the Farnborough area, where we could use places like Frensham Ponds to gve us more usable vegetation."

Oh yes you're right, forgot about this post, which I even commented on.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd January 2022, 3:25 PM

IF you're interested - TPTV Tues 25th 3.25 pm Frazer Hines interviews Melvin Hayes

You didn't miss much - he's quite a boring character, and HInes should have stuck to child acting.