Absent friends Page 172

Oh I see, I get the picture, I'm in the "nearly all" Teary

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th January 2018, 11:30 PM

Oh I see, I get the picture, I'm in the "nearly all" Teary

No, no, no.you're 'all.

:D

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th January 2018, 7:14 AM

:D

Missing since 15th. March. Where are you Herc?

Quote: Briosaid @ 28th March 2018, 11:31 PM

It's the Ides of March. He obviously didn't beware.

Quote: Briosaid @ 28th March 2018, 11:31 PM

He bade us a (temporary?) Farewell on the finish of his - now deleted - Punch cartoon thread but came back briefly to pay his respects to Ken Dodd:

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th March 2018, 7:23 AM

Weird or what, but the first morning of my break from BCG and I was only thinking about what to do if this happened, and so I have just had to come back and offer my condolences.

He was a git anyway.

Who deleted the Punch Cartoon thread and why?

I miss him whinging about something or other.
Come back Grytpype,you silly twisted boy.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 29th March 2018, 6:56 PM

Who deleted the Punch Cartoon thread and why?

I suspect it might have something to do with the suggestion, towards the end of that thread (I can't remember by whom), that, strictly speaking, a copyright fee is payable of over £100 per year per cartoon re-produced.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 29th March 2018, 9:59 PM

I suspect it might have something to do with the suggestion, towards the end of that thread (I can't remember by whom), that, strictly speaking, a copyright fee is payable of over £100 per year per cartoon re-produced.

Blimey, I missed that. The whole thread went, did it? Was it just some regular poster here, pointing out copyright fees by way of making conversation? Or was there a threatening overtone?

What's the score with Punch anyway? Although defunct, is it still owned by Mohamed al-Fayed (or his son Omar)? I notice it has a website of cartoon archives for individual license: https://www.punch.co.uk

A google search indicates some jokers called Gale Cengage Learning are selling access to most of the Punch archive (1841-1992): http://gale.cengage.co.uk/punch-historical-archive.aspx

I'd have thought a lot of the older Punch cartoons would be public domain by now. How does it work in the UK? 70 years since the cartoon was drawn? Or death of the creator plus 70 years? Or can any publisher simply buy the backlog and re-release it all with a new copyright? I haven't kept up to speed with Mickey Mouse and Popeye trying to avoid public domain.

Copyright is very complex. Death + 70 is usual, but they keep adding in more - although not as wildly as the US does.

The thread has been hidden for those reasons of copyright.

Thanks for clarification.

No threats involved, it was me pointed out the Punch fees.

I had warned back near the beginning of that topic that it might be violating Punch copyright, but at that time on the Internet I could only find poor resolution copies of the cartoons on a Punch site. When I checked again when HGT showed his last one I found the current Punch site with better scans and with a pricing arrangement attached, from which I quoted one example.

As Aaron says copyright is complicated, normally it would be 70 years after the death of the originator, which is usually difficult to find out as it is difficult to find when an Artist/Writer died or if if they have. Secondly when a work is produced under contract Copyright is normally owned by the organization giving the contract, which would be the Punch organization. In such cases, I think, but I'm not sure, that copyright lasts until 70 years after the death (dissolution) of the organization. Punch ain't ded yet.

Anyone miss me?

It goes without saying I haven't missed any of you lot.

Quote: billwill @ 30th March 2018, 12:41 PM

Copyright is normally owned by the organization giving the contract, which would be the Punch organization. In such cases, I think, but I'm not sure, that copyright lasts until 70 years after the death (dissolution) of the organization. Punch ain't ded yet.

Thanks for the elucidation. I wonder if the heirs of the deceased cartoonists collect anything from Punch licensing.