The general pop/rock - music thread Page 168

Quote: Chappers @ 7th March 2018, 11:28 PM

Funny? I'd never call it funny. Pretentious and too political for me. I much preferred Melody Maker.

My favourite MM quote was, 'Fuzzbox could well become the biggest group of the 90s.' Yes, that's exactly what they became. Nirvana, Spice Girls and Oasis never sold a single copy - it was International Rescue all the way for 10 years and beyond. Best of all, they never mimed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QWL0AznZ_4 .
Last night I put on Blur's Modern Life Is Shite. It was such a f**king racket, I switched it off again. Can't believe I used to love it.
Special shout-out for Suede. Their epic '97 BSide collection amazed reviewers - cos Suede are probably the only band who don't have an A side / B side / LP mentality. They just work to make every track as good as possible.
Contrast Blur! Come to think (that's my brain in reverse) the most overrated band ever, if not New Order, must be Blur. As I've said, overrated doesn't mean crap - just that there's a discrepancy between reputation and actual product. Blur singles were awesome but the albums were hit-and-miss and the B-sides were nearly always appalling. There's a story their manager went, 'We want to wring a few more singles off the album but everyone wants new Bsides now' - answer: 'Book us a studio for 3 hours tomorrow and we'll bash something out.' It may not be true but shit like Alex's Song, Gotcher and Daisy Bell show how it could circulate at all. I'd rate Suede over that whole Shitpop hype, including Oasis, Blur and Pulp... When my New Order obsession wore off, I got into Blur and scouring the discographies I was impressed how many tracks they did - then I tracked (tee hee) 'em down and wasn't impressed at all! In those days there was no Youtube so fans would pay for 2 CD singles (often massively overpriced if they were oldies) and get 8 minutes of new, shit music.
I also like Stop by the Spice Girls but I am biassed by Melanie C is the video. Yummy!

Just saw this on TOTP, it's on none of my two double disc comps, which is a shame because I think it's great.

Shadow of Love by The Damned

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 22nd March 2018, 7:50 PM

Just saw this on TOTP, it's on none of my two double disc comps, which is a shame because I think it's great.

Gives you the perfect excuse to buy the Phantasmagoria album then. :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the-damned/phantasmagoria-2/

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 22nd March 2018, 7:50 PM

I love the Damned and always have. I only saw them once though at their 10th anniversary gig at Finsbury Park.

I pledged for their new album almost 2 years ago now and I understand it's ready for release in April.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 22nd March 2018, 8:08 PM

I'm sure it's available at Discogs.

The Damned were on The Young Ones, as were Madness, twice, and a young Neneh Cherry. I often use that fact to break the ice at parties. I never get invited to parties.

Yep, there's seems to be no other way. Would be my first Damned studio album though. I only have the Final Damnation live album, a 2-cd comp called Smash It Up 76-87, a 3-cd comp called Neat, Neat, Neat-The Alternative Anthology and an obscure low budget sampler called Nasty Damned with demos and live tracks.
I can see why Chappers likes them so much. For me they are quite similar to The Stranglers, both bands were very talented at rocking out with raw material during their early years but also at writing poppier and more sensible stuff in the later stages of their careers. I've got most of the Strangler's albums, the first two are near perfect imo, later records tend to disappoint me a bit though, they've turned into a fantastic singles band. Don't know if the Damned were also a good album band.

Have you heard "The Black Album" or "Anything"?

Also the first one is a great mix of short sharp noise plus some good slower stuff like Fan Club and Feel the Pain. Plus there's a cover of the Stooges So Messed Up.

Quote: Chappers @ 25th March 2018, 5:37 PM

Have you heard "The Black Album" or "Anything"?

Also the first one is a great mix of short sharp noise plus some good slower stuff like Fan Club and Feel the Pain. Plus there's a cover of the Stooges So Messed Up.

Is on my list. I've ordered their debut album last week at a Swiss online store along with J.J. Cale's "5". The Cale cd has arrived but the Damned cd is delayed.
Angry

Black Album, Strawberries, Phantasmagoria and Machine GE are one my "to do list".

Just bought the "new" Rory Gallagher album.

Several tracks are new to me plus another Live disc. Haven't played it all yet but what I have sounds great.

Today's interesting fact about the Spice Girls
Scary Spice is not actually very scary. In a recent poll, the 'scariest movie scenes' included Shining, Carrie, Saw and Hostel, but not one moment of Spiceworld. I myself can watch this masterpiece, say 'I am not afraid' and place my free hand on my heart.

I keep meaning to get hold of machine gun etiquette

Any good?

It's one I've never had but it includes a couple of their biggest hits.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 20th October 2012, 12:47 PM

Inspired by the Stones/Tickets thread I'm asking you which is your favourite Stones album for the desert island? Why and which songs make this your favourite.

I'd choose "Beggar's Banquet", "Sticky Fingers" and "Some Girls" (+ its little twin brother "Emotional Rescue"). All three (or four) albums are pure...they don't play around, they're just raw and ugly blues rock with a little dose of folk. Beggar is a bit more folky and quiet while the others rock hard and straight. "Sticky Fingers" is my least favourite of those but it has the ultimate (imo) rock song on it: "Brown Sugar". This song has everything. The best intro ever, swagger and a catchy refrain.

As a homage to John Rebus - Exile on Main Street

Quote: lofthouse @ 3rd April 2018, 10:31 PM

I keep meaning to get hold of machine gun etiquette

Any good?

Not heard it, but the reviews on here (& stats/scores/bolded status) make it sound quite tasty. (If you can be bothered, you can research the taste of the reviewers to see if it chimes with yours.)

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the-damned/machine-gun-etiquette-3/

2nd review (lumpymoo) suggests getting a copy with their cover of "White Rabbit", so I assume it's not on all versions of the album - doesn't appear to be on the original vinyl version anyway.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 4th April 2018, 1:38 PM

Not heard it, but the reviews on here (& stats/scores/bolded status) make it sound quite tasty. (If you can be bothered, you can research the taste of the reviewers to see if it chimes with yours.)

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the-damned/machine-gun-etiquette-3/

2nd review (lumpymoo) suggests getting a copy with their cover of "White Rabbit", so I assume it's not on all versions of the album - doesn't appear to be on the original vinyl version anyway.

I got White rabbit as a 7" sinlgle. Probably available at Discogs if you want it.

Increased my vinyl collection by about 20 today having picked up a parcel I'd ordered from Discogs including Mental as Anything, Clapton, Daltrey and Rick derringer plus one of my local charity shops hada load in today. I had to limit myself to 10 @ £2 each including Supertramp, Clapton, Tourists, Squeeze, Dylan and the Nice amongst others.

Also at the weekend I bought some more including the reformed Small Faces album from 1977.