What are you eating? Page 726

Quote: Lee @ 11th August 2016, 4:26 PM

It had sweet potato in it and they weren't cooked as much as I had thought, so when I blended it the texture was weird. No amount of cooking or blending could make it right.

Potatoes can be odd. A while ago I made a mash to go on top of a veggie pie. I cooked the potato in the microwave, for the same amount of time as usual . When I was trying to mash it, there were still lumps - like they were still a bit raw. The mix had yogurt in it , so I didn't want to put it back in the microwave. Since the completed pie was going the oven for a bit I thought that it would finish cooking in there. For some reason , it didn't and even when the leftovers were reheated in the microwave, some of the chunks still tasted raw.

My neighbor works in Alaska for two weeks every month. His wife just knocked on my door and delivered two freshly grilled moose steaks. Very tasty!

Oh aye, Husband is away for 2 weeks, wife's round with steak.
And it's rutting season for moose.
We get the picture.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 22nd March 2018, 3:09 PM

Oh aye, Husband is away for 2 weeks, wife's round with steak.

Her husband's in town until next Monday. When he's in town I get smoked and grilled meats. When he's out of town I get desserts. :)

In a ridiculously vain attempt to reduce my insane cheese and biscuit intake/spiralling cholesterol and aching liver once again I've gone all continental having charcuterie quite a lot now. Perfect weather for it.

The idea was to eat lots of salad and drink lemonade and tea, but I've just noshed loads of lovely salami and banned Port Salut - but they go so well together and because it all seemed so southern European with the sun as well I had to open a bottle of Merlot which it was begging for. I tell you what, these [insert various European ethnic slurs] might be slippery characters but I do love their take on simple good food. But I think you could make a decent pate out of my liver at the moment. >_< Ooouch. Think I may have to revise this diet. Angry

What am I eating? .... basically too much! Errr

Toasted ham and cheese sandwich. Dash of mustard and it's an absolute belter.

The brief version - egg on toast

The foodie version - artisan toasted bread with poached organic egg and baby plum tomatoes

Quote: reds @ 12th August 2016, 1:41 PM

Potatoes can be odd. A while ago I made a mash to go on top of a veggie pie. I cooked the potato in the microwave, for the same amount of time as usual . When I was trying to mash it, there were still lumps - like they were still a bit raw. The mix had yogurt in it , so I didn't want to put it back in the microwave. Since the completed pie was going the oven for a bit I thought that it would finish cooking in there. For some reason , it didn't and even when the leftovers were reheated in the microwave, some of the chunks still tasted raw.

Sweet potato is probably what you would call kumara. (or something like that)

Did you add any milk or butter when mashing as I find that helps get rid of lumps and if it goes in to the oven with lumps they will probably take longer to cook so the rest of it would burn. I always cut large potatos in to smaller segments so they cook quicker. I had some steamed potatos, oven baked chicken fillets and a bowl of Sharwood's Jalfrezi sauce and it was blooming delicious. Very quick and easy to cook as well.

A couple of slices of pizza (pepperoni, mushrooms and mild peppers) and a couple of pints of homebrewed bitter. Quick and easy.

Warm white pitta bread filled with Nutella.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 24th May 2018, 4:13 PM

Warm white pitta bread filled with Nutella.

Chicken curry from the kashmir restaurant, bradford.
Rick Stein, the chef goes there whenever he is in Yorkshire.
Best curry in the world bar none.

Didn't know you lived in Bradford. We used to go to Leeds because our older son did his PhD there. Brilliant place. When you went out on the moors you never found the same place twice. There's a great medical museum in Leeds., and we loved the people.