In And Out Of The Kitchen - Series 1 (TV)

We (not the Royal 'we') have just caught up with Episode 1. I elicited a couple of wry smiles, mainly because Jupp writes a poncey food column in The Evening Standard Magazine. It's just not funny though :(

I really enjoyed it. A lovely change from the somewhat cynical tone of many single-camera comedies. Not outright hilarious, but there were some good laughs, and it had a lovely warmth to it.

I just watched episode one and thought it was very good; great characters and refreshingly different from everything else I'm watching at the moment. I wasn't sure what to expect and was very pleasantly surprised.

It is rather decent. I'm not too keen on the pointless recipe filler though.

It's true to the radio original which is fine by me and, unlike Count Arthur Strong, makes the transition without destroying the original's strengths. Miles Jupp is a fine writer with an eye and ear for (as it were) prickworthy pomposity. And a lovely performer too.

The only downside for me is the shift in tone of Damien and Anthony's bickering courtesy of the transition. On radio, it's closer to a battle of wits, quiet, often sotto voce, atmospheric. On screen, with nothing left to the imagination, it's reduced to sniping. Still, a minor quibble.

The recipe inserts serve a purpose. They're Damien in his pomp, the only time he's in complete control. In contrast to the rest of his life when he's essentially a victim of his own pomposity.

Finally got around to watching the three episodes and loved it. Damo is such a darling.

BBC should have allowed more.