BBC Writersroom looking for comedy scripts Page 4

Quote: Lazzard @ 17th March 2018, 11:49 AM

I think it's pretty clear they're not that interested in multi-camera.
Though why format should make any difference when they're at pains to tell us that the thing in question will never get made and they're only looking for "voice", is beyond me.
I don't know why they don't just ask for "What I did on my holidays" and be done with it.
Best bit of advice on the whole podcast is don't write six episodes of one sitcom, write six pilots.
(That they won't make.)
Whistling nnocently

Haha! "What I did on my holidays" might make a good sitcom, get writing!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2725962/

Oh, well...

Oh dear.

The old who, what, why, where, how is the best advice.

Just treat it as any job, but maybe a well paying one?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 18th March 2018, 10:13 AM

The old who, what, why, where, how is the best advice.

Just treat it as any job, but maybe a well paying one?

When?

Quote: Chappers @ 18th March 2018, 8:48 PM

When?

8.30 Thursday night, BBC2.
You hope.

:)

This year we're giving writers the opportunity to nominate 10 consecutive pages that they'd like us to read first. So if there is a 10 page section in your script that you feel is funniest, shows off your authentic, comic voice and brilliant original characters best then please clearly indicate this on your title page. If you don't nominate then we'll assume you want us to read the first 10 pages.

This is a bit weird to me. I've noticed that the BAFTA Rocliffe competition has the same flexibility (though in their case they literally just want 10 random pages rather than a full script).

I mean, I get that there can't be many worse tasks than reading through thousands of 'first ten pages' of sitcom pilots from new writers, most of them full of clunky exposition, character setups and the like, but equally surely getting those first ten as tight and plotty and funny as possible is one of the biggest challenges for aspiring writers (or maybe just for me...), rather than trying the old "but it gets really good on page 21!" excuse.

I know they're really emphasising that they're not interested in producing anything they get sent and really just want to hear your 'comedic voice' or whatever, but I dunno. It just sounds like they're encouraging random gags over plot and storytelling. Or maybe the mark of a good sitcom writer is to write something so simple that someone could tune in 15 minutes in and immediately pick up on what's happening and enjoy it. And maybe I can't do that and I'm just bitter. :)

That's very interesting Cindy, I shall have to revisit their site as I didn't see that piece. Well at least it shows they are taking notice of the competition and aren't as set in their ways as they come across. While I agree it shows craft to present an ear catching first act I'd say most sitcom episodes hit their best notes further in and many save the best for the finale as I tend to do when writing my efforts. So this is a little bit more encouraging after working out the odds of 'getting somewhere' with them based on their 2017 intake are 222/1. Good luck all.

Quote: Lazzard @ 17th March 2018, 11:49 AM

I think it's pretty clear they're not that interested in multi-camera.

Yeah but I still can't work out why not, as it's been a highly successful format for them and was always seen as the gold standard form for TV sitcoms until the success of Gervais' non studio audience sitcoms. There surely can't be that much difference in the cost of making either type? What you save on three extra camera crews you spend on location sets, lighting, sound and transportation. I thought location shoots were more expensive. ?

Location shoots are much more expensive, yes. But as they won't be actually making anything that's sent in, the distinction seems academic...

Quote: Lazzard @ 19th March 2018, 10:35 AM

8.30 Thursday night, BBC2.
You hope.

:)

Radio shows tend not to be on BBC 2. :)

6:30 Tuesday, Radio 4 is probably the best time.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 19th March 2018, 12:49 PM

That's very interesting Cindy, I shall have to revisit their site as I didn't see that piece. Well at least it shows they are taking notice of the competition and aren't as set in their ways as they come across. While I agree it shows craft to present an ear catching first act I'd say most sitcom episodes hit their best notes further in and many save the best for the finale as I tend to do when writing my efforts. So this is a little bit more encouraging after working out the odds of 'getting somewhere' with them based on their 2017 intake are 2,250/1. Good luck all.

Yeah but I still can't work out why not, as it's been a highly successful format for them and was always seen as the gold standard form for TV sitcoms until the success of Gervais' non studio audience sitcoms. There surely can't be that much difference in the cost of making either type? What you save on three extra camera crews you spend on location sets, lighting, sound and transportation. I thought location shoots were more expensive. ?

I think they want to see brilliant scripts. They would be happy to see audience, radio, dramedy (or coma as I've heard it called).

A studio sitcom costs several times more than a non-studio. Studios are massively expensive to hire, plus several camera crew, lighting staff, camera hire etc etc. Single camera is a small crew and, of course, a single camera. (They sometimes use two cameras but even that's a hell of a lot cheaper than five big forklift truck sized ones wheeling around a studio)

DAY ONE OF BLOG A DAY https://www.patreon.com/SitcomGeeks

OK. Thicko question here.

Please can somebody in words of one syllable tell me how to convert a word document to a pdf .

Save your word doc as .pdf.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 19th March 2018, 8:42 PM

Save your word doc as .pdf.

Is it that simple? OK. I'll have a go.

OK! So it was. Thanks. Submitted!

Quote: Anorak @ 19th March 2018, 8:03 PM

I think they want to see brilliant scripts. They would be happy to see audience, radio, dramedy (or coma as I've heard it called).

A studio sitcom costs several times more than a non-studio. Studios are massively expensive to hire, plus several camera crew, lighting staff, camera hire etc etc. Single camera is a small crew and, of course, a single camera. (They sometimes use two cameras but even that's a hell of a lot cheaper than five big forklift truck sized ones wheeling around a studio)

DAY ONE OF BLOG A DAY https://www.patreon.com/SitcomGeeks

I stand corrected. Are you sure about that? When I think of what they spent on mine - hotels, catering lorries, hiring an entire train for a day...