What DVD are you watching? Page 31

There's very little footage or doc on The Young Ones, and hardly any books either, except Didn't You Kill My Mother-In-Law?. Rik's autobiography is just one long joke - nothing wrong with that, but I'd've preferred a 'proper' insight. The Pythons have had tomes and tomes dedicated to them.

Happy Families was never even released officially, while Filthy... (FAR inferior) was.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 18th March 2018, 12:23 PM

Yeah I paid top price a few years back for the newly remastered Star Trek on DVD and couldn't see where it was remastered except for the very basic colouring in of The Enterprise's windows when travelling.

Remastering is just transferring to a different format. I.e. film to digital for DVD. You've done exactly what they hoped, and confused remastering with restoring.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 18th March 2018, 10:57 AM

I don't believe Star Trek. Underdeveloped mutants on the other side of the universe speak better English than most Americans? Actually... (And I say that with all due respect to underdeveloped mutants on the other side of the universe.)

To boldly go where no man has gone before! And they're always rescuing people in trouble for one reason or another.

There was a great Izzard line. To boldly go where no man has gone before... Women have gone there, they've checked it out, said it's OK for men to go too.

'Ripping Yarns" . Still find them funny.

Very hit and miss though. Tomkinson's Schooldays and the Curse of the Claw, AWESOME. Across the Andes by Frog, unwatchable.

Currently watching the Amazing Spiderman DVD. I have already watched it more than 3 times and this might be the 5th time I am watching it.

I love superheroes cos they always have an adjective: the AMAZING Spiderman, the MIGHTY Thor, the INCREDIBLE Hulk...

Just watched Ferris Buellers' Day Off and now put on Lethal Weapon 3. If I'm still awake after that I have Amadeus out and primed.

I bought the Sacha Baron Cohen DVD Dictator for 50p today. CEX have repriced about 90% of their DVD stock in my local store to just 50p and I don't understand how they can do that and still make enough money to keep the doors open.

I don't think I've got through an entire film by Cohen because I lose interest so any positive/negitive reviews?

You try to sell DVDs to shops like that and you're lucky if they give you about 20p for it!

Which is why I give 'em away to charity shops instead.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 1st April 2018, 12:11 AM

I don't think I've got through an entire film by Cohen because I lose interest so any positive/negitive reviews?

I've watched Borat and BrĂ¼no at the cinema. Like you I lost interest after the first half or so. It's because after a while I couldn't tell anymore which of the scenes were "real" and which ones were staged to further the general plot.
And that is a problem for me. The unscripted fake-interviews and other scenes filmed with hidden cameras are the ones that make his films interesting by unmasking the latent rascists and homophobes in a hilarious way. But in both films the line between fiction and reality was often very blurred so that that after a while I started to suspect even the seemingly obvious real interviews to be staged. And that spoiled it for me.
I hope that makes sense.
Haven't seen The Dictator though.

An endurance test.

Late follow-up but about the Young Ones crappy DVD, there just ain't much info out there. I've scoured Youtube and Amazon and there's very little. It's an interesting reflection on the times cos everything's far more documented now. People take a selfie for Youtube every time they have a crap, so an established performer is gonna have reels of shit. Things were so different in the 80s.

Most of the shit in the '80s went down well..

Hey, Michael.. I heard you done plenty good shit..?

I don't argue with the constipated. They're full of shit.
Happy Families on DVD, plezase. The proper version, not the mutilated UK Gold take.