BBC Writersroom looking for comedy scripts Page 3

DAWN: "I'm just going outside!"

Does that sound right to you? Eh?

Maybe you could get someone to look at it, not that I'm touting for business. There might be openings for writers who voted Leave.

Okay, here's an update, we recorded an amazing Sitcom Geeks with Amanda and Simon from BBC Writersroom and the episode is heaving packed with masses of useful information about what they're looking for. We've actually put this up ahead of the usual posting to give you time to listen and absorb.

https://www.patreon.com/SitcomGeeks

With regard to what's been said on this thread, listen out to what they have to say about audience sitcom, also about offering specific scripts for production.

I'll post some more blogs in the coming weeks, hope they help.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 8th March 2018, 12:45 PM

In reading their updated guff on WR I see the Beeb have interestingly distanced themselves from the studio audience sitcom model referring to it as 'older sitcom'. It uses the term 'comedy script' now and it looks like the link they've put up for reading broadcasted scripts are mainly non studio audience. I'll take that as a strong hint then that trad sitcom style scripts will be instantly binned. They certainly make a lot fewer of them than they once did.
Angry

I'm glad, out with old style, I hope they don't pick something like f**king 'Marigold' that was dire.

Quote: Anorak @ 13th March 2018, 4:56 PM

Okay, here's an update, we recorded an amazing Sitcom Geeks with Amanda and Simon from BBC Writersroom and the episode is heaving packed with masses of useful information about what they're looking for. We've actually put this up ahead of the usual posting to give you time to listen and absorb.

With regard to what's been said on this thread, listen out to what they have to say about audience sitcom, also about offering specific scripts for production.

Excellent stuff about character in here.
It's still a weird process though, and totally at odds with the way the industry works.

I'm not sure comedy in the UK has ever been an industry as such. We don't make industrial quantities of sitcom to appear at specific times like they do in America. The nearest thing we have to a comedy industry I would say is BBC Radio, and they're always looking for new and innovative ways to discover talent and make interesting shows. So 'industry rules' doesn't mean much in this context, I think.

Yes - but Writers Room does the same thing for drama, apparently.
And drama is an industry - eg Netflix, Amazon, Hulu etc etc
When you talk to independent producers and commissioners they talk about the project you're bringing to the meeting - not as some sort of test piece with a view to 'working with you' in the future.
What do they want these writers for if not for their ideas??
Still, good luck to all who give it a go.

Quote: Frankie Mildly Perturbed @ 14th March 2018, 9:04 PM

I'm glad, out with old style, I hope they don't pick something like f**king 'Marigold' that was dire.

Well I'm entering 'Pansies' a trad audience sitcom written in honour of that great show so I hope they do pick it. Pick my Pansies!

Quote: Lazzard @ 15th March 2018, 7:39 PM

When you talk to independent producers and commissioners they talk about the project you're bringing to the meeting - not as some sort of test piece with a view to 'working with you' in the future.

The head of BBC WR emails a Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais to say 'Congratulations we have picked your script from our Writers Room entries and would like to offer you the rare opportunity to be mentored by some of our staff writers. Please don't be daunted by this momentous opportunity, our writers will teach you very gently at your own pace.'

Could someone possibly

If you or someone else could possibly summarise what they said about those things I'd be obliged, thankyou.

Could you and Chappers team up and write a sitcom?

It does sound a bit like Alfred's Clement/La Frenais scenario! Might be fun to enter, though, so long as you don't expect to get much out of it...

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 16th March 2018, 8:56 AM

If you or someone else could possibly summarise what they said about those things I'd be obliged, thankyou.

Listen to the podcast!

Oh alright
1. By all means send audience sitcom
2. This is not an ideas submission round, it's to see if you can write.

Quote: Anorak @ 16th March 2018, 3:03 PM

Listen to the podcast!

I can't. I don't do Twit Face or the other three things. This site and Big and Bouncy are the only two web sites I'm registered with.

Quote: Anorak @ 16th March 2018, 3:03 PM

1. By all means send audience sitcom

But they'd prefer non audience?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 17th March 2018, 11:33 AM

I can't. I don't do Twit Face or the other three things. This site and Big and Bouncy are the only two web sites I'm registered with.

But they'd prefer non audience?

I think it's pretty clear they're not that interested in multi-camera.
Though why format should make any difference when they're at pains to tell us that the thing in question will never get made and they're only looking for "voice", is beyond me.
I don't know why they don't just ask for "What I did on my holidays" and be done with it.
Best bit of advice on the whole podcast is don't write six episodes of one sitcom, write six pilots.
(That they won't make.)
Whistling nnocently