Farewell Doddy Page 2

He diddled the taxman by getting married two days before his passing. Brilliant tribute on Channel 5 yesterday, should still be accessible.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 13th March 2018, 12:23 PM

Brilliant tribute on Channel 5 yesterday, should still be accessible.

The words "brilliant" and "Channel 5" should not be put together - it was a repeat of the old tribute "In His Own Words"

The BBC had the best proper obit (naturally), which sadly may not be still available.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th March 2018, 2:49 PM

The words "brilliant" and "Channel 5" should not be put together - it was a repeat of the old tribute "In His Own Words"

True, but it doesn't mean the programme was any less good!

I saw In His Own Words last night and what stood out the most was how sharp he was. Even when he looked frail and I think there was footage from as recent as 2017 he was still as sharp as he was in his prime. Wonderful to see.

Quote: Aaron @ 13th March 2018, 2:53 PM

True, but it doesn't mean the programme was any less good!

Didn't say it was any less good, my point was the Beeb did a proper researched tribute whereas the cheapskate C5 just repeated an old programme.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th March 2018, 11:42 AM

Didn't say it was any less good, my point was the Beeb did a proper researched tribute whereas the cheapskate C5 just repeated an old programme.

Wrong, I'm afraid.

BBC repeated a 10-year old hour-long programme.
Channel 5 repeated a one-year old two-hour-long programme.

Both excellent productions that I love, but if one is "cheaper" than the other, it's definitely the BBC effort.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/arena_ken_dodds_happiness/ https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/ken_dodd_in_his_own_words/

If you're referring to the live/news coverage, the BBC had the 5-minute-ish obit piece on the Six O'Clock News, and another 5-minutes or so at the end of The One Show. By contrast, Channel 5 changed their entire 6:30pm news programme to Ken Dodd - A Tribute: 5 News Tonight Special, including only about 5-minutes on another headline - the Russians - at the end of the programme.

I bow to your superior knowledge.............................................. (still the Beeb is best- you know it makes sense)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th March 2018, 3:53 PM

I bow to your superior knowledge.............................................. (still the Beeb is best- you know it makes sense)

:D