Q series

Last night watched the second half DVD of what is left of Milligan's Q series and in Ep. 4 of Q8 is this classic, which has me in hysterics every time I watch it.

OK, it's not PC now, but only the lonely with no sense of humour would care - Mr Milligan didn't.

Clearly Spike and David Lodge are having a great time, barely being able to contain themselves, which makes it even more remarkable that Katie Boyle managed to keep a straight face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgEPlr6LIek

Laughing out loud Sublime. Don't know which is the funniest, the German or the Irish one. Probably the Irish one, that was insane. And their Irish wigs Laughing out loud

Q was brilliant but patchy. Cleese apparently phoned Palin up after the first one aired and said our new show's a gonner now, Spike's just done what we wanted to do.

Over the years I have read that they (the Python team) and many others all owe a debt to him for dragging British comedy out of the post war doldrums and making the BBC sit up.

He broke the rules - the man is a comedy genius in my eyes. OK, as with Python and others it doesn't always work, BUT WHEN IT DOES!

The Grandfather of modern comedy in the UK.

I need to get the DVDs, I love Spike.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th February 2018, 10:13 AM

Clearly Spike and David Lodge are having a great time, barely being able to contain themselves, which makes it even more remarkable that Katie Boyle managed to keep a straight face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgEPlr6LIek

Just watched this yet again. Never fails with me and now my eyes are all watered up. Love the German and Irish version but the Jewish one is so clever and funny.

YES GET THE DVDs !!

And of course who could forget the Dalek sketch, coming home for dinner after a hard day at work.

Back in the days when you could laugh at something without worrying if it was sexist, racist, or upset somebody or other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0n88tZQc4Q

The show was not called Q, but Q7, Q8 and Q9. I think the last series was named There's A Lot Of It About.

Spike at his bonkers best.I remember thinking at the time that although innovative, it was quite traditional because there was usually a musical interlude.

Quote: Bill Poster @ 12th March 2018, 1:26 AM

Spike at his bonkers best.I remember thinking at the time that although innovative, it was quite traditional because there was usually a musical interlude.

Like the Goon Show you mean.

Yes and Take it from Here,Beyond our Ken,Round the Horne ,etc...

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 11th March 2018, 9:41 PM

The show was not called Q, but Q7, Q8 and Q9. I think the last series was named There's A Lot Of It About.

Not sure what you are saying or trying to prove.

There were actually 5 series (Q5 to Q9) of Q with the "There's A Lot Of It About", being a sort of spin off (one series of 6 episodes only) with a wider appeal as Spike was starting to get a bit manic by the end of Q9.

So, you see there were 5 series of Q, hence the thread title "Q series"

If say you were talking about say Blackadder, you wouldn't post "The Blackadder, and Blackadder II, and Blackadder the Third, and Blackadder Goes Forth" You would say "The Blackadder series"; and if it was being broadcast now you might have a thread for each Q. Yes/No? ;)

Perfect example re Blackadder, Hercules! Just like Q, such a title never, ever existed alone but is the commonly referred-to collective name of multiple individually named series.

Sorry, I've heard it as Q5 and so on. Blackadder's a character so there's less confusion there.

I thought Q8 was in the Arabian area.

Anyway - yes. Everyone with at least half a brain realised you can lump them all together as the Q series.

Quote: Chappers @ 14th March 2018, 3:34 PM

I thought Q8 was in the Arabian area.

Kuwait. :)

Love the theme tune, and here's the (original) maddest version - sheer lunacy and I LOVE IT!

You wait for the buzzer break, and there it is !!! Laughing out loud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrWureyryhQ