I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,977

You can be very intelligent but still be wrong about stuff.I know I am (occasionally)

Quote: DaButt @ 6th March 2018, 8:44 PM

I only bring it up when an argumentative poster implies (or states directly) that I'm stupid. I even posted photographic evidence of a test score, so hopefully people will stop bringing up the subject. ;)

I think people would stop calling you stupid if you stopped typing stupid things. I kid. :P

If you really are a genius, why are you so insecure when someone, obviously of lesser intelligence than yourself, doubts your intelligence?

Quote: Bill Poster @ 6th March 2018, 8:59 PM

You can be very intelligent but still be wrong about stuff.I know I am (occasionally)

Likewise.

Quote: Davida @ 6th March 2018, 9:01 PM

If you really are a genius

I don't recall ever claiming to be one.

why are you so insecure

I'm not.

someone, obviously of lesser intelligence than yourself

I don't recall saying anything like that, either.

doubts your intelligence?

Because I'm not stupid, so I'll correct a false statement with a factual reply. The truth will set you free and all that...

Why is it some people get really upset when someone calls them stupid?

Pssst *it's called insecurity*. He's says he's not insecure, but I think this might be one of those instances where he is occasionally wrong.

Quote: Chappers @ 7th March 2018, 12:17 AM

Why is it some people get really upset when someone calls them stupid?

If that was directed at me, I don't think you can point to a moment where I became upset. Calmly and rationally correcting an inaccurate statement isn't "getting really upset."

Quote: Davida @ 7th March 2018, 2:27 AM

Pssst *it's called insecurity*. He's says he's not insecure, but I think this might be one of those instances where he is occasionally wrong.

I am many things, but insecure is not one of them. If I reply to an insult with a correction it is not a sign of being insecure. It's called telling the truth.

I wondered what Boris Johnson had in mind when he promised to act "appropriately and robustly" against Russia if it was found to be behind the poisoning. Turns out he meant not sending Prince William to the World Cup.

That will have them worried...

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 7th March 2018, 8:56 AM

I wondered what Boris Johnson had in mind when he promised to act "appropriately and robustly" against Russia if it was found to be behind the poisoning. Turns out he meant not sending Prince William to the World Cup.

I'm pretty sure he thinks that just saying "appropriately and robustly" is an appropriately robust action.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Nogget @ 7th March 2018, 9:19 AM

I'm pretty sure he thinks that just saying "appropriately and robustly" is an appropriately robust action.

Yeah that's Boris. I still think he's great, we've far too many dull grey suits as our political leaders or whiney killjoys in the opposition. Humour and character is what keeps many normal folk going so why shouldn't we have some in government. Boris for PM :)

Stormy Daniels? That's someone who used their pet name and street they grew up in...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43312158

Anything less than economic sanctions and sending a few spies packing for home would be a farce.

Quote: DaButt @ 7th March 2018, 2:57 AM

If that was directed at me, I don't think you can point to a moment where I became upset. Calmly and rationally correcting an inaccurate statement isn't "getting really upset."

I am many things, but insecure is not one of them. If I reply to an insult with a correction it is not a sign of being insecure. It's called telling the truth.

Sorry DaButt. Not aimed directly at you but seeing that chain of correspondence reminded me of things I'd seen elsewhere in the past. (A Fish Called Wanda perhaps?).

It also reminded me of what I thought should be featured on cigarette packets.

"Smoking Kills" or "Smoking causes deadly diseases" doesn't seem to make anyone change their ways..

But if it said "You must be f**king stupid to smoke" on the packet that might make a difference.

NEWS CITY A.M. Wednesday 7 March 2018
LABOUR LGBT+ ADVISOR RESIGNS
"A Labour Party adviser on LGBT+ issues has resigned after she had called a Twitter follower a "hairy barren lesbian" and said that she wanted to "gay bash" a television star. Munroe Bergdorf said yesterday she had stepped down from her position."
Laughing out loud

Well, I dunno.. why does she have to step down .. maybe the first gaff was factual? And many a good person has said they wanted to bash a TV star or two.. they don't mean they are going actually do that..

I reckon a 'good ticking off' from her manager and 1,000 lines and half hour detention would have sufficed!

I must not say nasty things about folk and make silly threats on Twitter.
Etc.

Quote: Chappers @ 7th March 2018, 1:49 PM

"Smoking Kills" or "Smoking causes deadly diseases" doesn't seem to make anyone change their ways..

But if it said "You must be f**king stupid to smoke" on the packet that might make a difference.

Maybe I AM AN IDIOT in huge letters would do the trick. :)

Quote: DaButt @ 7th March 2018, 7:04 PM

Maybe I AM AN IDIOT in huge letters would do the trick. :)

In Edinburgh, when a Scotish bloke showed me one of your lots kinds of cigarettes with the awful pictures I wanted to be sick. I smoked them anyway, because I was addicted (at the time). I think the pictures are a decent deterrent to someone who's not been subjected to them before. The same might be true of using 'I'M AN IDIOT' would work for a while, for a few, but then would lose its effect and the highly addicted people will stay highly addicted.