BBC Writersroom looking for comedy scripts

BBC Writersroom have opened the script room for receiving unsolicited comedy scripts.

You have until 16 April to weave your comedy gold.

I've written a few blogs to help with the process of writing comedy episodes.

Starting with this - where do you start...?

http://davecohen.org.uk/in-the-beginning

Good luck...

Not until March 19th.

My biggest fear is having a great idea only to realise it's been done before. Is there a big database of sitcoms anywhere? Preferably one searchable by setting, tone, character type/profession, clever twists on a theme.

I had an idea a while ago about a guy who's brother comes back from being away and stirs things up. Then 'Back' came out. I mean I never wrote anything and even if I had done it wouldn't have been any good, but... damn.

Thanks for posting this Dave, really useful blog.

Quote: Stobbart42 @ 3rd March 2018, 5:09 AM

My biggest fear is having a great idea only to realise it's been done before. Is there a big database of sitcoms anywhere? Preferably one searchable by setting, tone, character type/profession, clever twists on a theme.

I had an idea a while ago about a guy who's brother comes back from being away and stirs things up. Then 'Back' came out. I mean I never wrote anything and even if I had done it wouldn't have been any good, but... damn.

Not sure you should worry that much, there seems to be a huge appetite for stuff that's been done before.

Quote: Stobbart42 @ 3rd March 2018, 5:09 AM

There's an episode of Steptoe and Son where Harold's brother he never knew about arrives from Australia and is everything Harold isn't.

Ideas aren't important, everybody has them, it's the execution that matters. Hence my point about the 20something flatshare blokes.

You won't find a bigger database of sitcoms anywhere than here. But I wouldn't waste your precious time trawling it to find out what ideas have been done, you'll never write anything that way!

Good luck.

Quote: Will Cam @ 3rd March 2018, 7:24 AM

Thanks for posting this Dave, really useful blog.

Ta

But similar ideas or sits to those sitcoms having been shown recently will get you rejected instantly, the Beeb say so on their website. Doing no research and writing what you want in hope of a commission or whatever thin gruel like substitute they are now offering at WR for rare successes is profoundly silly. Would you give up a job to start a dream business without doing any research? 'Oh I have a fantastic idea for a form of transportation that's circular'.

Flying saucers?

Mainly, don't do something that's been done recently and done BADLY.
The stink takes several generations to wear off.

Quote: Anorak @ 3rd March 2018, 8:19 AM

There's an episode of Steptoe and Son where Harold's brother he never knew about arrives from Australia and is everything Harold isn't.

Same sort of idea with Dad's Army:

And, essentially, the premise of "Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads".

I don't think WHTTLL has same premise. To follow the logic of my article, that's more like the Peep Show remake that will get made in 2022.

I guess I meant "Person from your past comes back and stirs things up" as a premise.
To be honest WHTTLL is a much better, more nuanced piece as it also deals with how we pretend to grow away from out roots, the changing face of Britain in the 70's etc etc

Anyway, I'm off to write my cracking comedy about a mad hotel owner on the South coast...

I just read the small print. You have to be resident in the UK. That kind of sucks. But I guess there's nothing stopping me from writing a script anyway.

How would they know you're not UK?