What's your 'go-to' Christmas special sitcom? Page 3

Wish Coogan would revisit Paul and Pauline Calf. Probably thinks it's beneath him. 'Have I told you about my Oscar?' Whichever snobby prat sneered at him for 'just doing voices' has a lot to answer for.

Ed Reardon at Christmas was very good indeed, sharp and funny, taking in decades of family history. Epic!

A bit late on this, but: Steptoe & Son. Every year-- watched it two months ago, will watch it again Christmas 2018...

Quote: MrBean457 @ 26th February 2018, 10:43 AM

A bit late on this, but: Steptoe & Son. Every year-- watched it two months ago, will watch it again Christmas 2018...

Just finished the box set, which has both the excellent Christmas specials included. Worth every penny!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th February 2018, 12:16 PM

Just finished the box set, which has both the excellent Christmas specials included. Worth every penny!

The box set is truly the best Christmas investment :)

Just been posting in SitComs about As Time Goes By which I watch beginning every Christmas but, oddly, has absolutely no Christmas specials. Other series which never acknowledge the holidays?

I don't think there is any reference to Christmas in Red Dwarf but I've not seen some of the later series.

I'm not big on Christmas specials,they are usually quite naff.
However there is a Hancock radio half hour The Christmas Club with just him and Sid.It's very interesting with shades of Pinter.

Radio 4 Extra is airing a few Hancock episodes but not this one, sadly.

Hello Rose.Good to see another Hancock admirer.

Stone me! It's on U Tube

https://youtu.be/V3OI7BB74rw

The YouTube video is not available but - happy day! - I found there are 200 episodes of Hancock's Half Hour on Spotify. Not sure if some are duplicates. Either way, it's free and the sound is wonderful.

Christmas Club is pretty dark. Is that why the Pinter reference?

Yes.The pauses and silences and slight air of menace.
It's just me thinking too much I expect.:S

So this may be off-topic but I remember reading about Pinter's Comedies of Menace. Not sure what's meant but The Christmas Club cerainly conveys a kind of hopeless sense. Fate was against them. Not very Christmas-y but not "naff".

Quote: Bill Poster @ 3rd March 2018, 11:29 PM

Hello Rose.Good to see another Hancock admirer.

Stone me! It's on U Tube

https://youtu.be/V3OI7BB74rw

WAS

Anyway, Turkey Feet and Chips a classic line from that one. Laughing out loud

Or the other great one is "BILL AND FATHER CHRISTMAS" - At the tender age of 412 months, a distraught Bill discovers the truth about Father Christmas, everyone is sympathetic - except Hancock.

Quote: Rose2010 @ 4th March 2018, 2:46 AM

I found there are 200 episodes of Hancock's Half Hour on Spotify. Not sure if some are duplicates.

They will be. He recorded about 80 radio shows of which a number of those are lost.

Bill and Father Christmas is there, too. Moved me to calculate how many months old I am. But I'm not telling. Have never seen the television version of Hancock.